Are You in the Market for an Automated Liquid Handling System?
Automated liquid handling (ALH) systems span the range from semi-automated multichannel pipettors to room-sized systems. The industry is trending toward versatile, modular ALH systems—seemingly for every budget. Likewise, instrumentation, software, and methods have followed the trend toward greater user accessibility.
Top 7 Questions You Should Ask When Buying an Automated Liquid Handler
- What kind(s) of dispensing technology is used? Peristaltic pump dispensing offers low prime volumes and backflushing; microprocessor- controlled syringes have fast output and high precision. Hybrid detection systems combine both technologies in one and can even add washing functions.
- Is plate handling automatable? Manual plate handling can slow productivity. Automating the process with a compatible microplate stacker increases throughput with walk-away operation.
- Can it accommodate magnetic or plastic bead-based assays? If using bead-based assays, it should be equipped with appropriate magnets or vacuum filtration for critical wash steps.
- What is the volume range, and how many different sample vessel types may be used?
- Ask about the software—is it integrated and user-friendly? Does it allow for pre-programmed and custom protocols?
- What is the flow rate spectrum? A wide flow rate spectrum allows use with sensitive cell-based assays to viscous liquids.
- What assay validation data is available for this specific liquid handler? This provides proof that the instrument performs as indicated.
Click here to read more about choosing the right Automated Liquid Handling System for your needs.