Exactive Plus System Sets New Standards in Speed and Resolving Power for High-Throughput Screening, Identification and Quantification of Compounds in Complex Matrices
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, today announced the Thermo Scientific Exactive Plus system, the company’s latest benchtop liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) system for high-throughput screening, identification and quantification of compounds in complex matrices. Powered by Thermo Scientific Orbitrap technology, the standard in full-scan, high-resolution accurate-mass (HR/AM) measurement, the ExactiveTM Plus system extends the capabilities of the Exactive system with advanced signal processing, ion optics and transmission technologies. It features full field upgradeability to the Thermo Scientific Q Exactive high-performance quadrupole-Orbitrap LC-MS/MS system.
The company will showcase the new Exactive Plus system within Thermo Scientific booth 1 and its hospitality suite at the Vancouver Convention Center (Parkview Terrace – Rooms 1, 2 and 3) during ASMS 2012, being held from May 20 – 24.
Like its predecessor, the Exactive Plus system produces full-scan HR/AM data, minimizing tedious MS method development and allowing retrospective data analysis. The Exactive Plus system is easy to use, cost-effective to operate and, when coupled with workflow-driven software, is an ideal instrument for routine analytical laboratories. The system has a range of applications, including food safety, environmental, forensic toxicology, drug metabolism/pharmacokinetics (DMPK) research and intact antibody analyses.
Advanced signal processing increases system scan speed by a factor of two, providing ultra-high mass resolution to resolve components in complex sample matrices. With fast scanning, the Exactive Plus system ensures exact mass measurement for applications involving UHPLC.Fast scanning also enables fast polarity switching without sacrificing mass accuracy. Brighter ion source optics and improved C-Trap—to—HCD cell transmission enhance sensitivity and improve low-mass ion transmission.
“When analyzing complex sample matrices such as food, LC-MS speed and resolving power play a critical role in determining analysis times and confidence in results,” said Ian Jardine, vice president and chief technology officer for LS-MSat Thermo Fisher. “With compelling increases in scanning speed and resolving power, the Exactive Plussystem offers customers performing a broad range of Qual/Quan workflows significant enhancements in sample throughput and quality of results.”
Notable features of the Exactive Plus system include:
- Ultra-high resolving power (up to 140,000 FWHM) that provides precise mass accuracy for complex sample analysis.
- Mass accuracy of better than 1 ppm in full scan and all-ion-fragmentation (AIF) modes using fully automated AGC and mass calibration procedures.
- Fast scanning speed (frequency) up to 12 Hz, which ensures exact-mass measurements fully compatible with fast chromatography technology such as UHPLC.
- Fast polarity switching without sacrificing mass accuracy in any scan; a full cycle of 1 positive and 1 negative scan performed in 1 second, at a resolution setting of 35,000.
- All-ion-fragmentation (AIF) with multiple dissociation techniques, in-source collisional induced dissociation (CID) and optional higher energy collisional dissociation (HCD) which provide MS and MS/MS data to deliver increased structural information.
- Extended mass range of 50 - 6,000 m/z for improved analysis of intact proteins and singly charged ions.
- Fully upgradeable to the Q ExactiveTM high-performance quadrupole-Orbitrap™ LC-MS/MS system for budgetary and analytical flexibility.
- Powerful software: ExactFinder 2.0 to streamline food, environmental and forensic tox workflows; MetQuest 1.2 to speed quan/qual analysis of drugs and metabolites; and SIEVE 2.0 to streamline differential expression analysis of proteins, peptides and metabolites.
Extended mass range and improved polarity switching will now be standard features of the Q Exactive as well.
For more information about the new Thermo Scientific Exactive Plus system, please visit Thermo Scientific booth 1 or its hospitality suite at ASMS 2012. or visit www.thermoscientific.com/exactiveplus.
For access to all Thermo Fisher news and product photos related to ASMS 2012, please visit the online media room at www.thermofisher.com/news.