Wyatt Technology - ViscoStar III
The next generation online differential viscometer
The ViscoStar III incorporates automated thermal bridge tuning to ensure perfect bridge balance every run, a patented pump pulse suppression system that eliminates pressure fluctuations due to the pump without loss of chromatographic resolution, and dual-Peltier thermal control for optimal isolation of the temperature-sensitive bridge from room temperature variations.
A highly sensitive, on-line differential viscometer used in conjunction with SEC-MALS to determine the size and conformation of all types of biopolymers, synthetic polymers and even proteins and peptides.
The ViscoStar® III incorporates multiple novel technologies to provide the highest sensitivity, stability and solvent compatibility of any available viscometer for GPC. Its ease-of-use and serviceability make it the perfect companion for Wyatt's DAWN® HELEOS® II light scattering and Optilab® T-rEX refractive index detectors.
Active Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Recent Questions & Answers
Need Equipment Support?
Documents & Manuals
There are no Documents or Manuals available.
Features of ViscoStar III
When coupled with size-exclusion chromatography and a concentration detector such as the Optilab T-rEX, the ViscoStar III derives the intrinsic viscosity (IV) of polymers. An inherently valuable physico-chemical property in itself, IV is best utilized together with molar mass information from multi-angle light scattering (SEC-MALS-IV) to derive the hydrodynamic radius, conformation, and branching ratio of a macromolecule in solution.
Key benefits of the ViscoStar III:
- High sensitivity, equivalent to 0.1 µg of 100 kDa polystyrene in THF at 1.0 mL/min injected onto a standard GPC column
- High dynamic range of over 135,000:1. The full measurement range corresponds to over 13 mg/mL of 100 kDa polystyrene in THF
- Extended solvent compatibility with all-316 stainless steel transducers
- Temperature range from 4°C - 70°C for polymers or proteins that require a range of temperatures
- Minimal band broadening thanks to fast pressure transducers
- Pump pulse suppression to below 4 Pa (hardware alone) or 1 Pa (hardware + software) without loss of chromatographic resolution
- Automated capillary bridge tuning with no moving parts, to guarantee a perfectly balanced bridge, every run
- Enhanced thermal stability with drift of <2.5 Pa/hour
|Temperature Range||4 to 70 °C|
Sensitivity (minimum detectable sample):
0.1 Μg of 100 kDa polystyrene in THF at 1 mL/min, under typical GPC conditions
Differential pressure noise:
< 0.05 Pa
Differential pressure range:
6.9 kPa, protected against overpressure
0.5% of full scale
Differential pressure drift:
< 2.5 Pa/hr
Capillary bridge autobalance:
Thermal, leak-free mechanism
Sample shear rate:
5000 Hz with water @ 1 mL/min
Max. flow rate:
Aqueous: 1.5 mL/min; THF: 3 mL/min
Delay volume options:
8.1, 5.4, or 2.7 mL standard; 16.2 mL optional*
Max. permissible pressure inlet to outlet:
316 stainless steel, PTFE, zirconium silicate, Kalrez®, Inconel, 26-1 Stainless Steel
0°C 40°C, 20% to 70% RH
0.1 sec to 20 sec, increments of 0.1 sec