High-Throughput Microplate Spectrophotometer
Patented PathCheck® Sensor
PathCheck Sensor eliminates the last major difference between microplate readers and spectrophotometers—optical pathlength. PathCheck Sensor provides a powerful new tool for microplate analysis.
Until now, you could never get the same absorbance readings from a microplate reader as from a spectrophotometer because samples in a microplate have a volume-dependent pathlength. PathCheck Sensor is the only patented technology available that measures the depth (optical pathlength) of samples in the microplate. SoftMax® Pro software can automatically normalize the well absorbance to a cuvette equivalent pathlength of 1 cm. It's like having 96 or 384 cuvettes!
- Eliminate standard curves. For compounds with a known extinction coefficient, concentration can be calculated directly from absorbance.
- Pipetting does not have to be accurate. With PathCheck Sensor, it is acceptable to have different volumes in the wells. Just put 20 µl - 300 µl of sample or standard into each well and read the plate. The PathCheck Sensor will correct for the volume differences in all 96 or 384 wells, and report 1 cm absorbance values.
- Extend the dynamic range to 6+ OD. If a well reads out of range (> 4 OD), decrease the volume (100 µl of sample can be used with excellent precision) in that well and reread the plate using the PathCheck Sensor. A 100 µl sample (optical pathlength ~0.3 cm) that reads 2.8 OD will be corrected to ~9.2 OD.
- Detect pipetting errors in 96- or 384-well microplates. The PathCheck Sensor measures differences in volume between the wells, so you can identify and eliminate sources of error from your data or correct your absorbance values.
- Quickly and easily test multichannel dispensers and pipettors. By measuring the depth of the liquid in the well, you can determine the volume of liquid dispensed. Even 96- or 384-channel dispensers can be tested in a matter of minutes. No need for dyes. Detect volumes as low as 100 µl in 96-well standard microplates, 30 µl in half-area or 384-well microplates, and 4 µl using a liquid addition method in half-area well microplates.
The Best Performance by Design
The SpectraMax optical system is the only multichannel design that truly mimics a dual-beam spectrophotometer. Each sample has a discrete sample beam and reference beam so that each well is measured directly, eliminating error due to variations in light output between the fibers. The 9 channel system (8 for the microplate and 1 for the cuvette port), consisting of 9 sample beams and detectors and 9 reference beams and detectors, delivers both superior precision and speed of reading across the microplate through 4.0 OD.
Active Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Recent Questions & Answers
Features of SpectraMax Plus 384
- Full spectral range: 190 - 1000 nm, tunable in 1 nm increments.
- Superior performance: 2 nm bandwidth provides exceptional accuracy and linearity for the widest range of assays—just what you expect from your spectrophotometer.
- Speed read mode: reads 96-well microplates in just 5 seconds and 384-well microplates in 16 seconds for ultra fast sample throughput.
- Patented* PathCheck® Sensor reports the microplate data as standard 1 cm cuvette values.
- Early ADME compound profiling assays
- SoftMax® Pro for Windows® or Mac™ OS
- Streamline GLP/GMP Compliance
- SoftMax® Pro Validation Package
Essentially, all UV/VIS spectrophotometric assays that are read in a conventional spectrophotometer or microplate reader can be read in the SpectraMax Plus384:
- DNA/RNA/protein quantitation and purity
- Colorimetric assays
- Drug dissolution profiles
- Enzyme kinetics (e.g., Ki, Km, etc.)
- Kinetic turbidimetric methods
- ADME-Tox assays
- Lipophilicity assays
- Human Serum Albumin binding assays
- Permeability assays (PAMPA)
- Solubility assays
|Lighting||Xenon flash lamp|
|Photometric Range||0.0 to 4.0 OD|
|Wavelength Range||190 to 1000 nm|
|Scanning Speed||Normal Mode: 96 wells in 9 seconds, 384 wells in 29 seconds; Speed Read Mode: 96 wells in 5 seconds, 384 wells in 16 seconds|
|Wavelength Selection||Monochromator, tunable 1.0 nm increments|
Wavelength accuracy: < ± 1.0 nm
Wavelength repeatability: ± 0.2 nm
Photometric resolution: 0.001 OD
Photometric accuracy (microplate): < ± 0.006 OD ± 1.0%, 0.0 - 2.0 OD
Photometric accuracy (cuvette): < ± 0.005 OD ± 1.0%, 0.0 - 2.0 OD
Photometric precision: < ± 0.003 OD ± 1.0%, 0.0 - 2.0 OD
Photometric baseline flatness: < 0.001 OD
Stray light: < 0.05% @ 230 nm
Temperature uniformity (microplate): ± 0.5 °C @ 37 °C
Molecular Devices Spectramax Plus 384 Absorbance Microplate Reader