ALMSCO - BenchTOF-dx™
BenchTOF-dx offers a unique combination of high-performance & affordability to any GC/MS user interested in trace detection
- Compound resolution
- Spectral quality, and
- Robust operation
All clear advantages for trace analysis.
This affordable bench-top MS platform can be interfaced to any major brand of gas chromatograph (GC).
Moreover, integration can include transfer of BenchTOF-dx data into various GCMS data systems, enabling the performance enhancements of BenchTOF-dx to be realised within a familiar GCMS operating environment.
BenchTOF-dx offers a unique combination of highperformance and affordability to any GCMS user with an interest in trace detection. Offering compatibility with conventional and high-speed GC, key applications include chemical agent monitoring, flavour/fragrance profiling and monitoring low-level environmental pollutants.
- Flavour/fragrance profiling: Detecting trace olfactory components
- Chemical agent monitoring: Counter-terrorism & civil defence
- Environmental monitoring: Measuring trace toxic & odorous chemicals
Active Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Recent Questions & Answers
GC-TOF MS Service ProvidersView All (1)
Documents & ManualsView All Documents
Features of BenchTOF-dx™
- State-of-the-art ion optics & direct ion extraction technology maximise sensitivity. Full range spectral data at quadrupole SIM sensitivity levels (>800:1 s/n for 1 pg OFN while acquiring over full mass range)
- Enhanced detection of trace target analytes
- High speed spectral acquisition (10,000 Hz) for compatibility with fast GC, GCxGC (Comprehensive 2D GC) and complex conventional GC profiles. Up to 560 spectra written to disk every second.
- Mass range of 1 to 1000 amu, with mass resolution of 1000, ensures compatibility with every GC application
- Mass spectra simultaneously stored in both true centroid & continuum/profile data formats for accurate ion ration determination (Cnotinuum mode to 0.01 amu resolution)
- Extreme stability of both mass axis & detector response reduces tuning/calibration frequency, optimising system productivity
- Uniquely powerful noise reduction software minimises requirement for manual data manipulation
- Integrates with popular GC/MS data analysis software to eliminate operator learning curve
- Optimum versatility: Compatible with all makes of GC and a wide range of hyphenated techniques
- Low cost for performance in a compact technology that operates in standard laboratory environments ensuing fast return on investment
High performance trace analysis
Innovative engineering allows BenchTOF-dx to go beyond the traditional TOF applications of fast GC and GCxGC. In addition to high speed scanning, BenchTOF-dx offers users full-scan capability at conventional single ion monitoring (SIM) detection limits. It, therefore, provides a robust, high-sensitivity alternative to quadrupole MS technology for the most demanding conventional GC-MS measurements, such as aroma profiling, chemical agent detection (counterterrorism) and trace environmental analysis.
In quadrupole MS instruments only a proportion of the ions produced in the ion source actually reach the detector because the technology utilises a mass filter which only allows one mass unit through to the detector at a time. This reduces the inherent sensitivity of the quad MS technology. The impact on sensitivity is worsened with increasing scan speed and mass range. Optimum sensitivity is obtained from a quad during SIM operation, e.g. monitoring between one and three individual mass ions, but this means most spectral information is lost.
Enhanced sensitivity with direct extraction (dx)
TOF MS operates on an entirely different principle with all the ions entering the flight tube ‘flying’ directly to the detector without filtering. This has the potential to allow full spectral acquisition at the same sensitivity levels as SIM mode in quads. However, this theoretical sensitivity advantage is not fully realised in traditional TOF MS designs because of the need to first transfer the ions from the source to a separate extraction area to preserve mass resolution. This ‘orthogonal extraction’ process results in a loss of ions and reduced sensitivity.
Using innovative ion optics, BenchTOF-dx dispenses with the orthogonal extraction of ions and adopts a cutting-edge and highly effective direct extraction (dx) approach.
With dx technology, ions are directly extracted from the ion source and are transferred to the flight tube and detector with minimal loss orf ions or mass resolution. The result is enhanced sensitivity over other TOF systems using orthogonal extraction.
No other affordable bench-top MS can compete with BenchTOF-dx sensitivity in full scan mode
|Power Requirements||115/230V Switchable, 50/60 Hz, 400 VA|
|Mass Spectrometer Type||Time-of-Flight|
BenchTOF-dx is a compact, high performance time-of-flight mass spectrometer (TOFMS). It can be interfaced to industry-standard gas chromatograph systems and corresponding GC/MS data analysis platforms. BenchTOF-dx is characterised by high sensitivity with fast data-rates, and, uniquely for GC/TOFMS, has the ability to produce ‘classical’ electron impact ionisation (EI) spectra.
GC Sensitivity (EI mode): 1 pg Octafluoronaphthalene (m/z 272.0) will give a signal-to-noise ratio (S:N) >800:1 rms while acquiring full spectra up to m/z 800
Linear Dynamic Range: At least 4 orders
Mass Range: 1-1000 Dalton standard, 1-1500 Dalton optional
Mass Resolution: >1200 (FWHM) over 1-1000 Dalton
Mass Accuracy: <0.00005 (abs)
Mass Stability: <0.10 Da (abs) over 30 days
Time Resolution: 1 ns, with continuum spectra recorded to 0.01 amu resolution
Data Conversion Rate: 1.0 GHz (default)
Carrier gas flow capacity: Up to 4.0 ml/min (Helium)
Acquisition rate: Up to 560 full range spectra (to m/z 1000) stored to disk per second
Native spectral acquisition rate: 10,000 Hz
Ionisation mode: Electron Impact, with variable electron energy (70 eV default)
Vacuum System: Differentially pumped, with separate source and analyser chambers;
using a single split-flow turbomolecular pump; backed by an oil-free roughing pump
Vacuum measurement: Integrated digital transmitter with continuous pressure measurement from 10 +3 to 10 -9 mBar
System equilibration time: 30 min from full system vent (e.g. following a column change)
GC Compatibility: Integrates with Agilent 6820 / 6850 / 6890 Series & 7820 / 7890 Series GCs; ThermoFisher Scientific TRACE/FOCUS GC Series; Shimadzu 2010 Series GC; other GCs by request
GC interface temperature control: 50°C to 420°C (±0.1°C)
Instrument control & data analysis software: Proprietary real-time data interface (dx-Connect), featuring dynamic baseline compensation; and integration into popular MS data analysis systems: Agilent ChemStation; ThermoFisher Xcalibur; Shimadzu GCMSsolution; Zoex GC Image; others by request
Supported Data formats: Automatic output to Agilent ChemStation (.d), ThermoFisher Xcalibur (.raw), Andi (.cdf)