Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

water drifting

can i get help with this symptom beckman ultracentrifuge L8-70M top compressor get wet and water drips

Asked by

trong
Report this Post
dpkleessr

This is not an unusal condition for this model of centrifuge.  It is merely condensation that is dripping down.  If it is being generated from cracked insulation around the refrigeration lines then the first course of action would be to reinsulate the refrigeration lines.  Otherwise, you will have this condition taking place.  It is not a critical issue as everything in and around the refrigeration modules should be unaffected by this moisture.

Report this Post
trong

thanks Don, i turned the system back on this morning for an hour at idle the system start to get cold and swet it seems like some water is dripping out from the insulation cork tape. i noticed some greenish stain around the driping spot.  is it normal the way it if the operator left it turn on without running.  I didn't a complain for the system not running.  the w/o is complain water leak but i think that's normal when it's left turn on for not running.  Am i right?

Report this Post
dpkleessr

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to leave an ultracentrifuge on unless someone is going to be utilizing it within a short period of time.  Running it without using it is just wasting a lot of electricity.

A Beckman ultracentrifuge can precool the chamber in a matter of minutes but let me run through how things work.  First, the refrigeration units will come on as soon as the power comes on.  This may sound strange but the refrigeration units run in a bypass mode when they are not actively cooling either the chamber or the drive assembly.  The chamber refrigeration unit will not activate unless the vacuum pump is running and the only time the vacuum pump should be running is either when you are pre-cooling the chamber prior to a low temperature run or when the run itself is taking place.  Remember, the ultracentrifuge was designed to MAINTAIN low temperatures.  It was NOT designed to pre-cool rotors unless you are going to do that overnight and even then, it is much more efficient to use a refrigerator to pre-cool rotors than the centrifuge itself.  If ANYONE tells you otherwise, they do not know what they are talking about.

Now, as to the greenish stain that you have observed.  It is merely the corrosion that is taking place around the copper and brass fitting of the refrigeration system.  It is really nothing to be alarmed about.  As I previously said, the Prestite cork tape can be replaced by purchasing it at any refrigeration supply store.  It is very sticky when it is new so wearing laytex gloves to apply it creates its own set of issues.  IF the old tape is around the service access valves then that tape should be replaced fairly quickly because it can result in failure of the valves should they actually need to be accessed.  The dripping water will not impact any other systems and there are no electrical components that could be effected by the dripping water.  The only sure way to minimize the condensation is to redo the insulation on the access valves and anywhere else that the insulation is present but may be cracked which lets air get into the tubing and that creates the condensation that you are seeing.

Hope this helps and feel free to get back to me with any other issues or concerns that you may have with your centrifuges, spectrophotometers, or liquid scintillation counters that were manufactured by Beckman Coulter.

Don

Report this Post
trong

Thanks a lot Don.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1