Discussion Category:  GC-Ion Trap

trap heater

Hey folks,

I have a Varian Saturn 4000 ion trap MS and the trap heater won't reach the set point (200C). I seem to recall hearing that this can be caused by a poor connection between one of the tabs on the trap oven and the pin it connects to in the MS. Does this sound right? Just hoping for some additional thoughts before I vent the system and dig in.

Regards

MMcD

Asked by

MMcD
Report this Post
MMcD

OK, cooled and vented the MS and pulled the trap assembly from the manifold. The gold colored conducting tabs on the trap oven were in fact not sticking out far enough to make solid contact to the ribbon cables on the manifold. I bent them back into place and reassembled the trap. It's heating up and already nearly to the set point (200C) after 20 minutes.

Report this Post
MMcD

OK, cooled and vented the MS and pulled the trap assembly from the manifold. The gold colored conducting tabs on the trap oven were in fact not sticking out far enough to make solid contact to the ribbon cables on the manifold. I bent them back into place and reassembled the trap. It's heating up and already nearly to the set point (200C) after 20 minutes.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1