Discussion Category:  UV/VIS Spectrophotometers

Beckman DU-640 board connectors

Hello,

After I have changed the battery in a UV/VIs spectrophotometer Beckman DU-640, the connectors of the upper board went loose. The problem was that the battery is in the main board, bellow the upper board. I managed to change the battery with out dismounting the upper board, however the connector went loose as indicated in the photo bellow. I wnat to resolder the boards, but want to know if there is a better form to manage this problem. How can I dettach the upper board from the main board?. I don't find a form without affecting the connectors in the board. What kind of connectors are this?

Please see the photo in the link bellow:

http://1drv.ms/1xLqEQZ

Regards,

Adolfo Alvarez

Asked by

Adolfo Alvarez
Report this Post
dpkleessr

I looked at your picture and need to ask you if the pins themselves are actually loose? The black plastic piece that fits over the pins was not secured so that it could actually slide up and down. As such, it may appear that the pins are loose when in reality it is just the way it is. If you plug the top board, also known as the accessory board, into the main board and everything powers up and functions properly then just don't worry about it. Also, immediately after replacing the battery, unless you swapped it out without turning the power off, you will see all kinds of failure notices on the display when you turn the spec on again. Just go thru the process of entering the date and time, turn both of the lamps on for 30 minutes and then perform a calibration. After that you should be back on line.

Don

Report this Post
Adolfo Alvarez

Hello Don,

Thank you for your answer. Well I tried to slide the upper boarc or accesory board, from the main board, but then I noticed that the pins in the main board went loose. Then I managed to change the battery without taking appart the accesory board, but when I assembled everything nothing happens and the monitor is without signal. So I think that the lower pins are loose making false contact. 

I want to desolder this connectors so that I can resolder the lower pins in the main board, but prefered to ask before doing so.

I will try then to take appart the accesory board, but when I try to do so, the lower pins get loose, do you have a trick to slide the up without damage to the pins?

Thank you for your answer.

Adolfo Alvarez

Report this Post
Adolfo Alvarez

Hello Don,

I have separated the two boards but the JA2 connector went loose. I have some concerns about this connector and I don't want to burn the circuitry if something goes wrong. I have paid attention to the way the connector was connected and think that the connector goes in the way I am explaining with photos in the document that you can see in the link bellow. Perhaps you have the pinout of this connectors so to be sure that every thing is correct, before putting together the boards.

The document

Tank you for your help.

Regards,

Adolfo

Report this Post
dpkleessr

I am sorry that I wasn't clearer in my first reply but the black plastic is supposed to be pushed all the way down on the main board. That is how the vertical pins are supported and probably why they appear to be loose. Unless you can physically remove one or more of the pins there is no problem. Simply slide the black plastic piece back into place and you should be fine. But, before you do that, I believe that you also said that after replacing the battery that the spec no longer powered up properly. What I would recommend is that you once again remove the accessory board and try to power up without it in place. Make sure that you have a working monitor as the old CARt's were known to fail with no warning, which is why Beckman went to LCD displays. Also, please make sure that the battery is installed correctly as this could cause you problems too. Also check that the main board is still properly connected to the power supply board. Finally, if it still doesn't power up properly, check out the test points on the power supply board for the presence of the proper voltages and get back to me.

Don

Report this Post
Adolfo Alvarez

Hello Don,

Thank you for your answer. It is very clear for me now. Well now I have this JA2 connector completely loose. I will power up the spec tomorrow because I am not allways in the place where it is, and will check if it powers up. But one thing is that the keyboard is connected to the accesory board and I will not be able to interact with the spec without it.

What do you think about the pinout I showed to you?

Thank you for your answer.

Adolfo Alvarez

Report this Post
dpkleessr

The keyboard does NOT plug into the accessory board.  It plugs into the main board near the serial mouse port and you really don't need the keyboard to use the spec.  You only need a functional mouse to use the spec.

Report this Post
Adolfo Alvarez

Hello Don,

The accesory board I have has the keyboard connection  in it. Please see the photo in the link:

http://1drv.ms/1u32Q4d

I will try the equipment assoon as I can.

Thank you,

Adolfo

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Sorry, I stand corrected on the keyboard connector.  It has been several years since I last saw a DU600 spec.  Anyway, you should be able to do anything you need to without the keyboard.  As I said, you only need a mouse.  The keyboard made doing some things easier but it was never required if you did not want or need one to use the spec.

Report this Post
Adolfo Alvarez

Hello Don,

Thank you for your explanation I will check this equipment tomorrow.

Have nice day,

Adolfo

Report this Post
Adolfo Alvarez

Hello Don,The equipment worked ok first without the accesory board, we got the diagnostics screen. You can see it in this linkhttp://1drv.ms/1ymA3g3Then I have soldered the connector in the main board and connected the accesory board. I have placed all the pins in the usual form, one pin for one hole. with this I got the following screen:http://1drv.ms/1yEmM1vI have made a table to compare the two screens please see it here:http://1drv.ms/1816pDBI am reading the manual to find the problem.thank you for your help.Adolfo

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2