Discussion Category:  GC-Ion Trap

Varian Saturn 2000 Ion Trap turbo pump/controller failure

The power went out at our lab earlierr this week and when I tried to restart one of our Varian Saturn 2000 GC-MS's the turbo pump controller faulted.  I do have an older Saturn 2000 that I can probably scavenge the turbo pump or controller from, but don't have any instructions on pulling the turbo or its controller.  Has anyone dealth with similar issues on their ion traps?

Thanks in advance,

MMcD 

Asked by

MMcD
Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie

MMcD

My experiance is that the turbopump is the likely failure.This is straight from the manual.  This is a very easy replacement

To replace the turbomolecular pump, proceed as follows: 1. Turn off the Saturn GC/MS using the shutdown procedure. 2. Confirm that the main power switch is turned OFF and that the vacuum system has been vented. 3. Taking care not to break the GC column, slide the Saturn GC/MS about 12 to 18 inches apart from the GC. 4. Remove the Saturn GC/MS cover by grasping both sides and lifting up. 5. Remove the lower side panel with a Phillips screwdriver. 6. Disconnect the 1/8-in. pneumatics exhaust tube from the vacuum hose elbow. 7. Disconnect the vacuum hose elbow from the turbomolecular pump by removing the clamping ring and pulling the elbow away from the pump. 8. Pull the vacuum hose as far as you can toward the rear of the instrument. 9. Remove the turbomolecular exhaust-port seal and place it on a clean, lint-free surface for later use. 10. Unplug the turbomolecular cable from the turbomolecular pump by rotating the ring on the connector in the counterclockwise direction. Continue rotating until you can pull the connector free. 11. Loosen each of the four clamping screws about 2 turns with a 3/16-in. hex driver. • Take care not to completely unscrew the two inner clamping screws. (If you should unscrew them, restart the screws after you have removed the turbomolecular pump from the instrument.) 12. Remove the outside bottom clamping screw. 13. Remove the bottom clamp as you hold the turbomolecular pump in place. 14. Remove the outside top clamping screw (closest to the transfer line). 15. Remove the top clamp as you hold the turbomolecular pump in place. 16. Pull the turbomolecular pump to the rear and lift it clear of the instrument. 17. Remove the large seal from the turbomolecular inlet, and place it on the inlet of the new turbomolecular pump (03-920542-00). The orientation of the seal is not important. • On the new turbomolecular pump, leave the red cap over the turbomolecular exhaust port. 18. Carefully slide the new turbomolecular pump and seal into position on the end of the manifold. • Make sure the electrical connection (turbomolecular cable) is tilted towards the bulkhead, i.e., toward the left as viewed from the rear of the instrument. • Take care not to scratch the sealing surface on the manifold in front of the turbomolecular pump. 19. Insert the top clamp and loosely fasten it into place. 20. Insert the bottom clamp and loosely fasten it into place. 21. Tighten all four clamping screws until snug. 22. Reconnect the turbomolecular cable. Rotate the retaining ring clockwise with downward pressure to lock the cable into position. 23. Remove the red cap over the turbomolecular exhaust port. 24. Place the seal on the turbomolecular pump exhaust port. 25. Reconnect the vacuum hose elbow and clamp. 26. Reconnect the pneumatics exhaust tube. 27. Make sure that the vent valve is closed. 28. Turn on the rear-panel main power switch. 29. Snug up the top and bottom clamp screws. 30. Monitor the turbomolecular pump speed using Diagnostics under Vacuum System Status. 31. Once the pump is running satisfactorily, replace the side panel, top cover, and slide the GC and Saturn GC/MS back together. 32. Discard the old turbomolecular pump. Be sure to comply with all applicable health and safety regulations.   Dan

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post
MMcD

Dan,

Thanks for the instructions. I'll try replacing the turbo on the system that won't pump down with an older one that still functions. If it works fine after that, I'll likely see about getting a new replacement knowing that we've likely found the culprit.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond with such thorough instructions. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Happy Friday!

MMcD

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1