Discussion Category:  PCR / Thermal Cyclers

MasterCycler Pro s

I have a Mastercycler Pro s that will not power up. It has the characteristics of a blown fuse, however there are only two 12 Amp fuses and both seem to be fine.

Is there something else I can look for? Or is there somewhere I can find a service manual to start digging into the unti?

Thanks

jeremy

Asked by

jeremy
Report this Post
medphysteo

Hi Jeremy,

The fuses "seem to be" fine - did you check them with an ohmmeter, or just visually? The filament may look intact but could be broken in one of the end caps. I've also seen filaments break clean in the middle and you can't tell unless you hold it up the light. Then you'll see it vibrating.

I'm afraid that's all the help I can give you on Eppendorf PCRs.

Jeff

Report this Post
rbwalter

Did you ever find out what was wrong?  I'm having the exact same symptoms.  No lights, no fans, and both fuses are good.

Report this Post
OldNavy

Do you hear the power supply relay click after your turn the unit on? Does the Control Panel power up?

Report this Post
rbwalter

No to both questions.

Report this Post
OldNavy

No power supply relay and no control panel illumination points to the power supply board. I am not aware of repair options other than replacing the board.

Report this Post
Pohli, Inc.Reply by
Pohli, Inc.

The power supplies in these units are put under pretty heavy strain by the TE heating/cooling. They're robust, but after a number of years, they will eventually fail. We offer a repair service on them, usually for about half the cost of new power supply, which includes a 1 year warranty. Let me know if you're interested, and I can send you the details.

Best Regards,
Peter

Report this Post
rbwalter

Quote Pohli, Inc.

The power supplies in these units are put under pretty heavy strain by the TE heating/cooling. They're robust, but after a number of years, they will eventually fail. We offer a repair service on them, usually for about half the cost of new power supply, which includes a 1 year warranty. Let me know if you're interested, and I can send you the details.

Best Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I found your website and passed your info along to the equipment owner.  If he's interested, one of us will give you a call and discuss the details.

Thanks,

Bryan

Report this Post
scott almburg

Where are the fuses located on this unit?   We also have a unit that

will not power on,   and there appears to be no external fuses.

Report this Post
scott almburg

We have the same problem with a mastercycler pro 6321.  Internal 12A fuses show continuity.  28VDC power looks good. Unable to check the other voltages.      Battery on lower microprocessor board shows 0.45VDC, so either battery is bad, or power supply is bad, causing battery to discharge.   Besides the Speddy-Tech power supply board (28V,  15V, 12V ), there are two daughter boards, and a lower microprocessor board.       What is a typical cost to repair the Power supply, compared to a new power supply ( if still available)?

Report this Post
MedRun
If you see power on the control panel but not on the lid the issue is the computer board. These can’t be fixed. New ones come with a battery on them so lot flit the switch. Make sure to not touch the battery pins to the case. Once you do that power on and set the date and voltage in service. Pass 23456789 . Also press on the Cycler and select upgrade firmware, select Cycler 1 and press upgrade. Reboot unit should work.
Report this Post

Page 1 of 2