Discussion Category:  UV/VIS Spectrophotometers

Yet another mouse issue

We recently acquired a used DU-640, and I've been tasked with getting it functional.  It boots up and passes all its initial diagnostics, and at that point, the mouse pointer is in the top left corner of the screen.  I'm able to move the pointer all around the screen with the keyboard keys, but I can't click on the option to get beyond the results screen.  Is there a unique keyboard shortcut that can replicate clicking the mouse?  Neither of the enter keys, the function keys, or control/alt keys seemed to do anything.

I've been reading through the threads and I'm confident in my ability to modify the mouse's serial port with the jumper between pins.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to tell if I have a motherboard revision that includes the fix.  Thanks.

Mulder

Asked by

Mulder
Report this Post
dpkleessr

I will check out my manual and see if I have the accesdory info in it. Not sure if I do because we may have been given an accessory manual. I will have to get back to you.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Mulder, OK, here is the information you requested. The cable is a straight thru cable but only the following pins pairs are used: 1&7; 2&3; 14&15; 16&17; 18&19; and 21&22 but any straight thru DB25 cable should work just fine.

When you get the peltier heated cell holder, you will plug the brown cable connector into the wall of the sample compartment. You should see one of the connectors on the back of the accessory option board labeled for the temperature controller.

Hope this gets you set up OK.

Don

Report this Post
MulderReply by
Mulder

Thank you so much, Don.  I really appreciate it.  I'm hoping to see the parts next week.  I'll be sure to let you know when I have it up and running.  You've been a huge help.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

You are welcome.  First time that I had to drag out a spec manual in a long time but at least it proved useful.

One very important thing about the pettier unit, NEVER, and I mean NEVER just disconnect the cell holder with the temperature control unit turned on.  You will blow fuses I side the controller immediately.  Make sure that you tell the people you are working with about this, too.

Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.
I will assume that if your Beckman DU-640 didn’t come with a working serial mouse you might have some compatibility issues getting one to work. I recommend you reading all the issues with these from Don’s postings but I just wanted to publish some of my findings. I luckily had a group of 5 serial mouse’s I could test out. At the time I didn’t capture some of them that didn’t work. I am sure of these the two types (Below) that work and at least might save you some searching trying to find these quirky serial mouse’s. Manufacture: CLIXes Labeled: Serial Mouse PN#: 9234958 Buttons: 3- One thing to note is underneath the mouse there is a switch labeled 2 or 3. It works on position 2 which I am assuming is 2 button function?   Manufacture: Microsoft Labeled: Serial-PS/2 Compatible PN#:28898 SN#4840326 Buttons: 2   I hope this might help someone in the future.   Chad  

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

I posted this due to having another forum on Labwrench so it's for anyone with serial mouse problems.

Chad

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
dpkleessr

I am waiting to hear back from one of my former colleagues about the main board modifications to correct the mouse sticking issues. The 2 or 3 button issue has been a long standing one and there were only a very few 3 button mouses that worked reliably with the DU600 so even if you find a 3 button, don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Don

Report this Post
dpkleessr

And don't listen to ANYTHING Floyd has to say about ANYTHING.  I modified many main boards to actually fix the problem.  I will be emailing Kylie directly to tell her Floyd is back.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Here's the reality about Floyd, in my opinion.  He has his own business and has used this site in the past to attempt to generate business for himself when this site is SUPPOSED to be for FREE support.

I retired from Beckman after almost 33 years and Floyd left after 10 years, God only knows when.  When I retired at the end of 2012, I was the senior area instructor certifier for spectrophotometers and you don't get that responsibility because you don't know the product line.  I was also an instructor certifier for centrifuges so my experience with centrifuges and my depth of knowledge on centrifuges is also significant.

Anyone that frequents this site for help is certainly free to choose whomever they want for their help but choose wisely and be well informed as to why people are actually trying to help you.  I do it only because I can and BECAUSE I am retired and will continue to do it for FREE!  I don't want or need to work anymore and that's why I'm quite comfortably retired.  I am not beholding to Beckman Coulter for anything.  I actually DO know the products I help people with BECAUSE I was actually "factory trained" as opposed to others.  I also will NEVER discuss or get involved with ANYTHING I am not actually "factory trained" on.

Don

Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

I personally can vouce for Don. His help and expertise with the Beckman series really helped me a saved alot of money. Now if he ever gets me a copy of that software I'll give him a 200% satasfaction rating instead od the normal 100% :0) Just goofing with you Don. Thank you Sir!

Chad Stoltzmann

Senior Engineer

Tempe, Arizona

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post

Page 2 of 5