Discussion Category:  UV/VIS Spectrophotometers

Yet another mouse issue

We recently acquired a used DU-640, and I've been tasked with getting it functional.  It boots up and passes all its initial diagnostics, and at that point, the mouse pointer is in the top left corner of the screen.  I'm able to move the pointer all around the screen with the keyboard keys, but I can't click on the option to get beyond the results screen.  Is there a unique keyboard shortcut that can replicate clicking the mouse?  Neither of the enter keys, the function keys, or control/alt keys seemed to do anything.

I've been reading through the threads and I'm confident in my ability to modify the mouse's serial port with the jumper between pins.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to tell if I have a motherboard revision that includes the fix.  Thanks.

Mulder

Asked by

Mulder
Report this Post
dpkleessr

The sad thing is that it really doesn't take much to place an in line bar display to show how much time the lamp has actually been on.  In fact, Beckman's HPLC UV lamps had that installed like forever but we couldn't get the spectro division to do the same instead relying upon the timer built into the spec itself.  The only problem was that if you had to replace the main board, which happened way too often, you also lost the lamp on time and only the DU800 kept track of the Visible lamp on time.

The key thing to look for is how discolored is the area around the opening of the anode inside the lamp.  A new lamp should be clean and a used lamp will have some dark discoloration around that opening.  A really old lamp will have a lot of discoloration.

Anyway, after replacing the lamp, turn both lamps on for 30 minutes or so and then "slightly" loosen the four screws on the lamp housing and adjust the housing position to maximize the output voltage at the test point on the main board at 240nm.  Tighten the four screws and then check your visible lamps position for maximum voltage at 500nm because if you had to move the housing for the UV you will most likely have to adjust the visible lamps position.

Don

Report this Post
Bobjarn

I am using a Mitsumi model ECM-S5001 mouse on both my DU640 and DU650.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

The type of serial mouse is really not the issue. The issue is partly dependent on the version of the main control board you have as the stuck mouse pointer issue was documented over 25 year ago. On the original boards we had to cut a trace and make another connection to fix the problem. That was accomplished on the later version board at the time of their manufacture. If you're not having the problem then just don't worry about it anymore.

Report this Post
PlasmaTechSolutions

So I can't seem to get any mouse to work on my instrument either. The instrument passes all dianostic checks and the keyboard works. I have tired an old 2-button serial mouse that I found but to no avail. I additionally bought a Microsoft seial to PS/2 mouse but that didn't work either. I also read somehwere that the Beckman used to have a 3-button mouse so I just aquired one [Q500 3-button optical mouse (model# DMP3)] with the 'lined trackpad' and that didn't work either. I then read about jumping certain pins to fix the issue but I'm not quite sure which ones to jump. 

So I hooked up a multimeter to the serial pins out to determine which ones were getting power and this is what I found:

(Asumming serial pinout 1-5 on top and 6-9 bottom)

1: 0V

2: 0.029V

3: 7.03V

4: 8.10V 

5: 0V (Ground?)

6: 0V

7: 0V

8: 8.10V

9: 0V

So after playing around I ended up finding out that if I touch pins 2 & 4 together, the curson moves. Also when I touch 2 & 8 together, the cursor moves. So before soldering to the board directly, I first tried a female serial to pin adapter and connected the wires to a pin-serial male adapter. I connected all the pins exactly as they are, i.e. 1-1, 2-2, 3-3.. etc, and additionally made a parallel connection from pin 2 to pin 8. I then connected the 3-button mouse but it still didn't work. Then I tried addiing a parallel connection from pin 4 to 2 &8 (since it made the mouse move too) so that pins 2,4&8 are in parallel but that too didn't work with the optical mouse either. I'm not really sure what to make of it. 

According to a RS-232 DB-9 Male Pinout Diagram I found online:

Pin 1: Data Carrier Detect

Pin 2: Receive Data

Pin 3: Transmit Data

Pin 4: Data Terminal Ready

Pin 5: Signal Ground

Pin 6: Data Set Ready

Pin 7: Request to Send

Pin 8: Clear to Send

Pin 9: Ring Indicator

This pinout would suggest that the only pins being used (based on the voltages I saw) would be pins 2,3, 4 & 8. I'm also not sure if it matters that I made the conncetions before the pins or if I'm supposed to do it directly on the board istelf. Nor am I sure that this 3-button optical mouse is going to work anyway with this unit.. 

If anyone has any suggestions/thoughts, I'm all ears. I also have serial to PS/2 mouse adapters if that helps. I was trying to upload pictures to make it more clear but I'm not really sure how to >.<

It's driving me crazy so any and all advice is much appreciated! 

Report this Post
PlasmaTechSolutions

OK Update: 

I took an old serial 2-button mouse and opened up the cable wires to read the pinout. There were 4 wires (Orange, White, Green, & Blue) and their pinout was 

Blue - Pin 1 - Data Carrier Detect

Green - Pin 3 - Transmit Data

Orange - Pin 4 - Data Terminal Ready

White - Pin 8 - Clear to send

After a long, long, pain in the A** time, I managed to get it working by swapping the blue wire (pin 1 - data carrier detect) to pin 2 on the female plug (receive data) and Voila!

Looks like a standard old serial 2-button mouse. No particular features for me to decribe to help anyone else out. But, if my trials and tribulations can help any, I suggest using a volt meter and findout out what pins are active and try going from there.

Hope this helps! 

Report this Post
dpkleessr
The one thing 2 button mice cannot do is fully utilize the scan trace function easily. That was why Beckman's originally used a 3 button Logitech mouse. If you don't do wavelength scanning then it is probably not an issue.
Report this Post
Bobjarn

A Logitech three button mouse model M-M30 also works on my DU640 and DU650.

Report this Post
raq

Following the DU 640 thread and getting old equipment functional, I have the Win Connection software but am finding it hard to connect to a PC running Windows 98 and Windows NT via the RS232 port. All the communication settings (eg Baud 9600) check out but still the DU640 fails on the R232 relay and files are not transferred. Are there some "advanced" settings to try or do I simplyt need an older PC (pentium 1/2) in order to get this to work? Any help gratefully received

Report this Post
dpkleessr

What type of PC are you running and are you actually set up for dual booting on the computer? I never encountered a PC set up that way hooked up to a DU600 series Spec. The WinConnect software was known to have issues with processors beyond straight Pentium processors because later processors tried to run the program in a non sequential manor which the old Pentium did not do. Anytime I had a customer having WinConnect issues while trying to use newer PC's they were forced to go back to an older Pentium based system. Support for the DU600 and WinConnect software was terminated over 7 years ago and even then only old dogs like myself could even deal with either the spec or the software. I believe that is the issue that you are facing too.

Don

Report this Post
raq

Thanks for your rapid response and it is good to hear that there are still people like you with the experience and knowledge to help.

PachardBell IntelPentium III/Family 6 Model 8 Step 6

Runnings Windows 98 (3.96.2222)

Com port 1 3F8

Com port 2 2F8

Driver for the Com port |system\SerialVXV

All the best, Roy

Report this Post

Page 4 of 5