Discussion Category:  UV/VIS Spectrophotometers

Yet another mouse issue

We recently acquired a used DU-640, and I've been tasked with getting it functional.  It boots up and passes all its initial diagnostics, and at that point, the mouse pointer is in the top left corner of the screen.  I'm able to move the pointer all around the screen with the keyboard keys, but I can't click on the option to get beyond the results screen.  Is there a unique keyboard shortcut that can replicate clicking the mouse?  Neither of the enter keys, the function keys, or control/alt keys seemed to do anything.

I've been reading through the threads and I'm confident in my ability to modify the mouse's serial port with the jumper between pins.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to tell if I have a motherboard revision that includes the fix.  Thanks.

Mulder

Asked by

Mulder
Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.
Do you have a printer hooked up? One thing to try if you do is make sure you have the printer on or disconnect the printer cable into the Beckman. Power cycle the system and see if that clears it up. It could be a simple bi-directional issue? This fixed the same problem I had once.   Chad  

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
MulderReply by
Mulder

No printer hooked up.  I did power cycle the system, and after that, using F1 worked as a mouse click.  

I'll have to keep looking for a serial-compatible mouse, but I've been able to power up the unit and use it with the keyboard.  Thanks!

Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

Good luck and post if you have any luck. I found a few on Amazon but didn't buy one yet. I would like a backup when mine goes bad.

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
dpkleessr

Serial mice should still be around somewhere on the web but be advised, the original mouse was a 3 button mouse with the middle button used in the scan trace mode.  If you are not performing scans or don't plan on using the trace function then any 2 button serial mouse will work just fine.  I will have to do some checking as to which version of the main board you have.  I know that if there are round, gray bumpers on the main board then it is probably an older version.  If the bumpers are clear then that is definitely a newer board.  I believe that I did post the necessary modifications required to fix the mouse issue with older boards but if I didn't then I will have to dig out that info and post it.  Sorry for any delay in getting back to you but just finally getting over a nasty knee surgery so by the weekend I should have all of the necessary info.

Don

Report this Post
MulderReply by
Mulder

dpkeleessr, I have that post bookmarked just in case I need it.  I didn't want to try that when the only mouse I had to try was a PS/2 mouse with a 9-pin adapter and I wasn't sure it even still had serial capability.  Thank you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171829521475

i'm going to try this mouse, since my boss prefers optical mice.  I should receive it after the weekend of the 4th, so I'll be sure to respond back with how it works.  If not, I'll just have to go with the ball style.  The instrument will primarily be  used for kinetics, so having that 3rd button is pretty important.

That actually leads into another issue I have.  The rapid transport board is installed in the machine with an 6 cell holder.  I also have what I believe is the standard peltier temperature control box.  I can get the cable that connects them direct from Beckman for about $350.  Is it a standard 25 pin cable?  I've got several of those laying around.

The big problem I'm running into is the cell holder doesn't have the heater.  It is all metal, and I'm pretty handy with electronics and soldering.  I've worked with peltier blocks and thermal sensors in the past.  Is wiring up my own block at all feasible?  The only ones I've seen are going for $2-$3k and I know the purchasing department won't allow that.  Is it even possible?  Or is there a proprietary circuit in there that does a validation check?  Thanks for all the help.  I really appreciate it.

Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

I tried an optical mouse and it was fixed in the upper left corner of the monitor like you described. I was just playing around and understood that the firmware doesn't have the capability. The 3-button serial mouse works just fine that came with the unit I purchased. 

My system doesn't have the 6 position stage integrated into it so sorry I'm no help with that.

Your situation is almost identical to mine in getting multiple errors( including light path error) indicated on the start up diagnostics. I slowly worked the problems and took pretty good notes if you ever get stuck. 

I haven't looked hard enough on this forum on how to publish PICS and notes so if you wan't I can scan them and email them to you if you want.

Good luck!

Chad

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
dpkleessr

I don't even know where to go with the suggestion of making your own pettier unit.  How will you control the temperature regulation?  The pettier cell holders were also somewhat insulated by the cover that goes over the top of the holder and you will not be able to control the temperature through the spec itself as you would with a Beckman manufactured setup.  There is a sensor embedded in the peltier cell holder assembly.  I will have to check my service manual for the wiring of the control unit and get back to you.  I just don't think it is a simple process.  Have you gone on line to try to find one?

As Chad pointed out, newer mice do not perform very well with a DU600 series spec.  We worked through a lot of issues together to get his spec operational so he is a good source of info, too.  I did work for Beckman for over 32 years so I still try to help out on this site.

Don

Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

Thanks Don,

Don is your man for great technical help.

Chad

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
MulderReply by
Mulder

Chad, I was able to work through most of the light path and wavelength errors with the manual.  I've been able to do scans and wavelength readings, but the profs really want the kinetics functionality.  To be honest, if I can't give them that functionality cheaply enough, I'm not sure they'll keep the unit.  

Don, it had occured to me to build the peltier controller as a stand-alone unit if I wasn't able to communicate with the software.  I've built stand-alone units with temperature sensors and variable resistors to control temp.  Reviewing the manual section for Kinetics, I'm not sure that will work.  

I've been looking on-line, my only issue is I was only given clearance for about $1k in parts.  I just have not found any peltier cuvette holders in that price range.  If I do get approval to buy one, I'm still in need of the 25 pin serial cable.  I could make that, provided I could find out if it was straight wired or what crossovers it had. 

Thank you both of you for all your help and advice.  I really appreciate it.  My supervisors seem to think I can magically fix anything, so your advice has been a great source of aid.

Report this Post
MulderReply by
Mulder

I've managed to find a peltier cell holder they were willing to buy.  The only thing I'm missing now is the 25-pin cable that goes from the temperature control unit to the accessory board.  The back of the temperature control unit tells me to use only cable number 517234.  I'm honestly not sure what port it even plugs into.  I've been told I need the accessory board and the high-speed transport, both of which are installed and functional.  I have a manual for the installation of the cuvette holder.  I can't find any information in the spectrophotometer manual as to which port the temperature control unit connects to.

I also need to know if the 25-pin cable is wired straight, or if there is a crossover somewhere.  I have the equipment and knowledge to make a female/female 25-pin cable, I'd just rather not find out the hardway that it isn't a straight connection.  Thanks everyone for your assistance. 

Report this Post

Page 1 of 5