Discussion Category:  PCR / Thermal Cyclers

Calibration of Geneamp 9700

Hello!

I have an old Geneamp 9700 PCR system with a dual 384 block. Recently, I said "Fatal block error".

I read some Q/A comment here and found the reason would be the block sensor failure. Actually, the sensor was found broken. And I could find a PT1000 RTD sensor (Heraeus M1020) on the web and replace the old broken. It restored the functionality luckly. I used a temperature verification system to run the diagnosis procedure. It was good - maintained the correct temperature with little variation.

However, I felt the ramp rate became slow. When it heat up, the ramp rate became slow at high temperature (near ~90 to 95C). Cooling is still fast, but never reach down to 12C (16C was the lower limit it could achieve). So the result of ramp rate test was 1C/sec for heating and 1.6C/sec for cooling.

One reason I could guess was thermal paste than I used to assemble the thermal block (base, peltier elements and block). I think its performance (11.2W/mK, pk-3) should be similar to or better than the original one.

Does it look to need new verification? 

I don't have any idea to make new calibration values. Would you give me any advice, please?

Best regards,

Goonbo

Asked by

belowG
Report this Post
Jochue

Dear friend

Dou you find the problem? with this old pcr i have a similar equipment

Report this Post
belowG

Yes, I did re-calibrate 9700. After I replaced the block sensor with new and applied a better thermal paste, it required new calibration. I read a block sensor calibration procedure suggested by ABI.

http://www3.appliedbiosystems.com/cms/groups/mcb_marketing/documents/generaldocuments/cms_042718.pdf

And, I have a Alpha thermometer with a Temperature Verification Probe for PCR block like this (http://www.alphatechnics.com/thermal-cycler-verification-kits/applied-biosystems-2720-2700-thermal-cyclers/).

Now it works fine. But it's PCR performance seems not likely as good as before, possibly due to the differed thermal conductance of new themal paste. And It may require additional optimization for thermal control logics.

Goon-Bo

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1