Discussion Category:  Freezers

Revco -86 ULT2186-9-A35 randomly tripping circuit breaker and shutting down

I bought this refurbished and it worked great for 3 years. Now it is randomly tripping the circuit breaker and shutting down. i have to reset the circuit to get it back on but by that time the temperature rises. Any suggestions or a service manual for this model please?

Asked by

NITS
Report this Post
medphysteo

Has any other piece of equipment been put on the same circuit, and it's only happening since then? There may be too much current draw if so. Or possibly the compressor may be seizing. I'm not a refrigeration tech, but those are my first guesses.

Report this Post
NITS

No it is on an independent circuit and is the only instrument connected. i know it probably has spikes in current but just thinking what might be causing it. And having basic electrical knowledge, if i can possibly check it myself rather than calliing a technician.

Report this Post
NITS

In case this additional information helps someone to suggest a remedy. I noticed that the freezer goes out every night. I have reduced the set point to -75 and still it trips the circuit every night and the temperature in the morning is around -25.

Report this Post
stuart_gerald

Hi Mr.Don,

Upon power up with lid close, the centrifuge will get into vacumn mode. It able to reach the desire vacumnlevel without any problem. Regardless of what temperature we set, the current temperature always showing -5C and cause the centrifuge unale to proceed into spin mode. Our lab ambient temperature is app 25C.

I do agree with you that it could be due to firmware issues. We did escalate to Beckman and they claimed that the mainboard need to be replace and it'll be very costly.

Is there a way to RESET the firmware or download it?

Or maybe is there a way to by-pass temperature?

Appreciate for your help...

Report this Post
stuart_gerald

HI,

What's the ampere draw by both compressor during kick start and during idle? Pls verify the compressor surface temperature also. It should not greater thaN 100C.

Kindly verify that the condenser filter is not block/clog as well.

Report this Post
NITS

The freezer was off for a while and now when we turn on, the circuit trips within 30 seconds. Everything is at room temperature. Have not checked how much ampereage is being drawn.

Report this Post
stuart_gerald
Why not you disconnect compressor 1 connection and see it'll trip or not. At least can isolate out either is compressor issues or not
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1