Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Beckman GS15-R Error 28 (year 94)

I haven an '94 model of the Beckman GS-15R centrifuge that I bought as a used item. It was supposed to be in working condition, but when starting a test run, the error 28 pops up.

Beckman service mentioned the error message for the tach sensor located under the motor.  The phone operator also told me that the parts for a 94 model are different from the ones after 97 and that they do not have these parts any longer. Ozark biomedical has parts for almost anything it seems, except for the GS-15R. Is it possible that the tach sensor would have stayed the same as e.g. in the Spinchron 15, or an Allegra?

I'm hoping that someone has some advice for me. The cooling seems to be working OK.

Thanks for any kind of help.

Asked by

jertoe
Report this Post
Larbsarb

Does anyone have the service manual for this GS-15R centrifuge?

Thanks.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Yes, I have an old paper copy of the service manual but it is far from complete after Beckman Coulter went to all electronic service manuals and I did not make a copy of it before I retired 6 years ago.

Error code 28 MAY be caused by a bad tach sensor. Do you see any speed readout on the display if you spin the rotor manually? If so then it is not the tach sensor and more than likely the power board has failed and since every component on the board is surface mounted we were never able to repair those boards in the field except where the large capacitors attach to the power board as for some unknown reason the solder joints would crack and cause this problem. The only problem is that if the problem was not detected early the bad connection could also take out the power board which quite frankly was the most likely fix for every Error Code 28 that I encountered followed by the a broken lead on the tach sensor wiring. A bad motor, bad rectifier, power transistors, and microfuse F1 all can cause this problem.

The big issue with parts is that these centrifuges were obsolesced many years ago, especially the early versions. I really don't know if the later versions had a compatible tach sensor or not.

Don

Report this Post
Larbsarb

Hi Don,

I have error code 86 which is probably a bad temperature sensor. I need to locate this sensor. A dis-assembly instruction of the unit would help a lot as well.

I need to find a replacement for this temperature sensor. Can you please tell me its part number? Make & model if possible?

Do you still have those pages? If yes, it'll be great if you can scan and send them to me.

Much appreciated.

Gary

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Gary,

Error code 86 says that your refrigeration unit is not cooling to the preset temperature.  Older units such as yours were well known for developing leaks in their refrigeration systems.  Does the chamber get cold at all if you call on the centrifuge to cool?  Is the refrigeration fan running while cooling is being called for because without the fan running the compressor will probably shut down from overheating.  What is your OVER TEMPERATURE set at?  If it is set below ambient temperature and you are starting the centrifuge where the chamber is at room temperature then you will get this error.  Best thing to do is precool the chamber or set the over temp setting higher than embient at the start of the run.  If you got error code 90 then I would worry about replacing the temperature sensor.  Not that I believe that you need a sensor, that part number was 361356 if it is even still available.  No way fro me to know who made it originally or the model number of it.  Our service manuals never gave us that kind of information.  The removal of the sensor is straight forward.  Did out the sealant from underneath the sensor and push the sensor down thru the refrigeration chamber.  Reverse the process to install the new one.

Report this Post
Larbsarb

Thanks Ron. Temperature was showing 89 degrees Celcius when it should show room temperature. This points to faulty sensor or faulty circuit.

However, it now operates normally after re-seating the sensor connector.

Cheers.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Gary,

It is always easierto help people when I have all of the pertinent information but pleased that you have rectified the problem by merely re-seating the connector.  Always liked simple, quick fixes.

Don

Report this Post
hellp

hi, don

i found an error 90, with the temperature set on 98, do you have any recommendation for me to fix it?

Thanks,

Dell

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1