Discussion Category:  GC-Single Quad/MSD

MS Status Error 2048

Having a problem with my 5973n. I initially had an issue with Pump Temp error... I did a cleaning and service of the Diff pump and everything started up with no problems. I pumped down and the next day I ran a curve, once again with no issues. Today I started running samples and the run stopped and I got anothe MS Status Error 2048. I see nothing physically wrong with the main or side board, I have verified that all of the connections are good and no loose connections... Suggestion ?

I have spare parts, but I don't want to break this down without checking for suggestions first. :-)

Asked by

RalphB
Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie

Ralph,

In the Tune and Vacuum Control menu select,,,,

Based on the error reported check the following (from the Help menu in the software):  If you cant figure it out let me know

Dan Ste.Marie

Temperature control fault

This indicates that something has gone wrong with the temperature control of either the ion source or mass filter (quad) heater. The cause can be further isolated by selecting MS Temperature Controller Status from the Status menu in the Tune and Vacuum Control view. One of the following should be displayed as the cause:

Source temperature sensor is open
  1. Vent the MSD.

2. Open the vacuum manifold.

3. Inspect the ion source wiring. Make sure the wiring for the ion source temperature sensor is connected to the feedthrough board.

4. If the wiring is correctly connected and the sensor still does not work, replace the source heater assembly (heater, sensor, and heater block).

Refer to the MSD maintenance documentation for instructions for venting the MSD, opening the vacuum manifold, and replacing the source heater assembly.

Source temperature sensor is shorted
  1. Vent the MSD.

3. Inspect the ion source wiring. Try to identify whether the sensor wiring is shorted to a grounded surface.

4. If the wiring appears to be correct, and the sensor still does not work, replace the source heater assembly (heater, sensor, and heater block).

Refer to the MSD maintenance documentation for instructions for venting the MSD, opening the vacuum manifold, and replacing the source heater assembly.

Mass filter (quad) temperature sensor is open
  1. Vent the MSD.

CAUTION! Take precautions against electrostatic discharge (ESD) any time you open the vacuum manifold but especially when working near the mass filter (quad) contacts. These contacts can carry harmful electrostatic discharge to sensitive components on the side board.

1. Inspect the mass filter (quad) sensor wiring. Make sure the wiring for the sensor is connected to the feedthrough board.

2. If the wiring is correctly connected, and the sensor still does not work, replace the mass filter heater assembly (heater, sensor, and heater block).

Refer to the MSD maintenance documentation for instructions for venting the MSD, opening the vacuum manifold, and replacing the mass filter heater assembly.

Mass filter (quad) temperature sensor is shorted
  1. Vent the MSD.

CAUTION! Take precautions against electrostatic discharge (ESD) any time you open the vacuum manifold but especially when working near the mass filter (quad) contacts. These contacts can carry harmful electrostatic discharge to sensitive components on the side board.

1. Inspect the mass filter (quad) sensor wiring. Try to identify whether the sensor wiring is shorted to a grounded surface.

2. If the wiring appears to be correct, and the sensor still does not work, replace the mass filter heater assembly (heater, sensor, and heater block).

Refer to the MSD maintenance documentation for instructions for venting the MSD, opening the vacuum manifold, and replacing the mass filter heater assembly. No heater voltage

This indicates that the fuses on either the ac board or the main board have blown. These fuses are not user serviceable. Contact your Agilent Technologies service representative.

Heater voltage is too low

This indicates that a transformer in the electronics module is not configured correctly. This transformer is not user serviceable. Contact your Agilent Technologies service representative.

Temperature zone has timed out MSD electronics are not working correctly

Contact your Agilent Technologies service representative.

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1