Discussion Category:  Software (HPLC)

Port Comm Error in HPLC Series 200

From time to time, my totalchrom gives the "Port Com Error" and crash the system, although the pump continues working.  I have tried to deduce the origin of the error, but it not always occurrs in the same conditions, or does not occur during several weeks... But sometimes it occurs several times in a day. I must restart all (computer but also LC modules) to begin  again... Some ideas?

My HPLC has the pump, an oven with column selector, autosampler and a fluorescence detector. The system is also connected through a Lantronix.

Asked by

jmmartos
Report this Post
GopaKrishna

Hi jmmartos,

I am not much experienced in Total Chrome, However as per my experience in working with Empower chromatography application, I was sharing my thoughts.

I will be more than happy if it helps you in any way.

From the error message "Port Com Error" I imagine that the HPLC Series 200 is connected to the Windows Box through RS232/COM port( Serial Communication). The error message pops up when there is a loss in communication between the box and instrument.

Below are the check points which may cause the problem and request you to monitor them.

1. The windows machine goes disconnected from network either due to box restart, sudden power shutdown, internet connection lost, or could cause by regular antivirus scan which scans application directory and may interrupt the communication.

You can verify the application log or system logs in event viewers in box for that specfic time frame when the issue was observed initially.

2. you can replace old cables used between the HPLC and Box.

3. if there is any spare COM Port availabe, you can connect the HPLC to it and verify.

4. You can also verify the logs(at specific time) on instrument front panel for more info on error message if any,

Report this Post
jmmartos

Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately, my system is very complex. It uses the normal com port, but also two com-USB adapters to control the NCI, the autosampler, the oven and the automatic column selector... Also, it uses a Lantronix to communications.... I have tried to understand where the error could occurr, but my system does not allow to use the components separately (all the components, pump, autosampler, oven... must be on to work). The log of windows do not give any error, and the totalchrom log does not give errors as well... I am so lost.... Furthermore, the computer I use with the HPLC is only for the HPLC. It means that it is not connected to internet nor used by other software... 

Well, I will continue trying to discover the error... Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Jose

Report this Post
rmurga25585

Hello, Jose.

I have now the same problem than you about the lost of conexion between computer and box. Have you solved this problem at the end?

Thanks.

Report this Post
jmmartos

Dear murga25585, 

Unfortunately, I was never able to solve the problem. In fact, it's been a long time since I've used the equipment, and even Perkin Elmer's technical support couldn't give me a solution. The only thing that I have done is that I have never used Perkin Elmer equipment again. I currently use another HPLC which works without any problem.

Best regards, 

Jose

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1