Discussion Category:  Scintillation Counters

Wyse Winterm 3630LE thin client /monitor

The Wyse Winterm 3630 is no longer available, is there anything that can replace it?

Thanks,

Asked by

Eickemeier
Report this Post
LabWrenchEditorReply by
LabWrenchEditor

Hi Eickmeier,

I'm looking for some more details. Are you looking to link something similar to the Wyse Winterm 3630LE to your Beckman Coulter LS 6500?

Thank You,
Kylie

Kylie Sauve
LabWrench Site Manager
kylies@labwrench.com

Stay Connected with LabWrench:
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Join the Lab Equipment Solutions Group on LinkedIn

Report this Post
Eickemeier

Yes, I need a direct replacement.

Thank you ,

Michael

Report this Post
LabWrenchEditorReply by
LabWrenchEditor

Hi Michael,

I have learned that the suggested replacement for the Wyse Winterm 3630, is the Wyse C30LE.

http://www.wyse.com/products/cloud-clients/thin-clients/C30LE

If you have any questions regarding this product, please contact Brian Lamont from Wyse at BLamont@wyse.com. He will be more than happy to assist you and point you in the right direction.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.

Best Regards,
Kylie

Kylie Sauve
LabWrench Site Manager
kylies@labwrench.com

Stay Connected with LabWrench:
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Join the Lab Equipment Solutions Group on LinkedIn

Report this Post
Craig1

Quote Eickemeier

The Wyse Winterm 3630 is no longer available, is there anything that can replace it?

Thanks,

The Wyse terminals used on the LS Counters have customer firmware installed to work. An off the shelf Wyse terminal will NOT work without being flashed with the correct firmware. Beckman sells an update kit for approx $3,400. 

I may be able to help you out for much less. Email me or post your email address.

Report this Post
gmacg

Dear Craig,

I'm in the same situation as the person above.  Do you have a file and protocol for flashing a WYSE thin client winterm ?

Thanks.

Report this Post
Craig1

No, I don't. 

Report this Post
Kwame

The Wyse Thin Client (attached to LS 6500) no longer works. Trying to get a replacement but not sucessful. 

Would be glad if anyone can be of help in this direction.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Are you talking about a CRT assembly that no longer functions or is it an LCD panel with the communication electronics installed inside the base of it? The final configuration for the LS6500 was a WYSE thin client connected to an LCD flat panel display. Yes, the entire kit to replace the older terminals was very expensive but all you really need is a 25 to 9 pin serial cable and the thin client module. You can then connect ANY flat panel VGA display to the thin client. You also need to be aware that the clock is running on Beckman's support for LS counters and the availability of kits to replace the old displays were becoming problematic when I retired last November. Beckman is still the most likely place to get the latest and last update to the LS counter display system.

As has been previously noted, you CANNOT buy an off the shelf module and use it as there is EEPROM programming that is proprietary for Beckman Coulter that provides the correct display screens. Even if someone had the correct protocol to flash the memory, they would be in violation of some federal laws because you do not have the license to do so.

Report this Post
Knoppers

Dear dpkleessr,

hope you’re still around here. We’re running a LS 6500 in our lab. Unfortunately our Wyse WY160 ES terminal (Part. No. 900985-06) crashed some days ago (giving us a constant beeping sound without any visuals). We found an identical replacement for that Terminal - but without the needed firmware on it. Can we remove the EEPROM module containing the firmware from the old terminal and mount it into the replacement terminal? What we tried so far is switching the EPROM labeled “M27C1001 – type FDIP32W” in between the Wyse boards without any satisfying results.

Thanks.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

You are definitely in uncharted territory on this one.  I would say that you can try anything you want because I just don't know.  We never had any reason to take one apart as we just updated that terminal to the new thin client that supported any kind of VGA based display and eventually any DVI display.  Beckman got away from the Wyse terminals because of high failure rates and the inability of our after market repair depot to make long lasting repairs.  If you check the previous posts about this, there is a link that Kylie posted for someone that actually works at Wyse.  That would be my best suggestion relative to your issue.

Don

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2