Discussion Category:  GC Systems

450 GC COUPLED WITH PFPD AND FID

PFPD - we are using to find out the sulfur components from 1-100 ppm. It will inculde the all mercaptans upto hexyl mercaptan, Hydrogensulfide, carbonyl sulfide,sulfur dioxide. 

But in our case the standard will take more than 10 runs to get the stable reading , also our sample which we are blending that showing only less value instead of 3 ppm only showing 0.8 ppm. 

Everyone recommending GC for the sulfur analysis but in our case it is not favour for us. For the past one year we are facing this problem. 

Please try to help me. 

Asked by

Muji
Report this Post
LabWrenchEditorReply by
LabWrenchEditor

If it only sulfur (+) you wish to detect try Leco analyzers which is now Thermo Fisher.

Thank you to Bruce N for providing this response to LabWrench via LinkedIn

Kylie Sauve
LabWrench Site Manager
kylies@labwrench.com

Stay Connected with LabWrench:
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Join the Lab Equipment Solutions Group on LinkedIn

Report this Post
LabWrenchEditorReply by
LabWrenchEditor

If you a analyzing gaseous samples, make certain your transfer tubing, sample loops and collection containers are inert materials with Teflon tubing, tedlar bags and passivated Summa canisters being the preferred equipment when I performed such analyses with Varian GC-FPD. Low ppm detection and reproducibility were not a problem. Sample holding times may also be an issue here so fast turnaround from collection or standard dilution to analysis may help. Please be aware that these sulfur compounds are highly reactive and care must be used to preserve them prior to analysis.

Thank you to Ken F for providing this response to LabWrench via LinkedIn

Kylie Sauve
LabWrench Site Manager
kylies@labwrench.com

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Report this Post
LabWrenchEditorReply by
LabWrenchEditor

Use sulfinert fittings from G.C sampling loop to sample cylinders(including cylinders valves)

Inject samples with same pressure and flow. Note the peak area.

Thank you to Asif K for providing this response to LabWrench via LinkedIn

Kylie Sauve
LabWrench Site Manager
kylies@labwrench.com

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Report this Post
burntorange

Muji, I suggest you contact Bruker's GC tech support (previously varian). They are a great group who has always been helpful to me. 

johan.heijboer@bruker.com

Report this Post
Johan Heijboer

Dear Muji,

Suggest you contact your local Bruker office to support you on this PFPD issue. Should you require contact information please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Johan

Report this Post
Muji

Dear Mr.Johan,

I contacted our local representative for the 1 year to solve this issue, but they couldn't. They did not give the right idea to solve. Even within the one year they ask us to do the R & D with the instrument by ourselves. But we brought the instrument for the analysis of sulfur and its mercaptan. The supplier team is changed now. 

We are on track with the new supplier to solve this issue. 

Frankly, we didn't get the repeatability with PFPD for our standard gas itself.

Repeatability around > 5 % . But they provided the PFPD in the range of up to 100 ppm only. This lower level range should come < 2 % repeatablity.

In the same GC-450, it is coupled with FID. There is a small issue facing with that but we are satisfied with the performance of FID.

If they couldn't solve the issue, we will come to you. 

Please do the needful.

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,

Mujib.

Report this Post
Johan Heijboer

Dear Mujib,

Thank you for the update. Please specifiy the Bruker organization you are dealing with and I will follow-up via them should they need any assistance. Suggest to take this conversation off-line.

Best regards,
Johan (johan.heijboer@bruker.com)

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1