Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

The centrifuge can not turn on

Dear friends I have a centrifuge Sorval Legend and i can not turn on.

May you help me?

Somebidy have the service´s manual

Best Regards

Asked by

Jochue
Report this Post
medphysteo

Hi Jochue,

I've sent a service manual and some notes to site admin to post. Have you checked your power outlet to make sure you don't have a breaker that has tripped? If that is okay, you may have a problem with the braking resistors in the machine. They can appear good with an ohmmeter check but can cause problems under load. To check them, open the lid with the emergency release cord, and remove the six hex screws along the bottom edge of the front panel. Lift the panel straight up until it just releases from the frame, and be careful of the wiring harness at the top left that connects the operator panel to the main board. You can either disconnect the harness and set the front panel aside, or rotate the panel clockwise and set it on its edge on the bench on the left side of the machine. That way you can operate the machine while it is open.

The main board is mounted to a metal plate that is held to the frame with several screws. There may also be a cord threaded through the metal plate. The cord is for tying the board in place when you remove the screws. If there's no cord you may want to have someone hold the board for you unless you can support it another way. If there is a cord, take out all the screws holding the plate, move the board away from the frame slightly and rotate the top edge towards you, set the bottom edge of the plate on the bottom edge of the opening, and tie the cord to the frame through one of the holes in the top edge of the frame, to hold the board in place.

With the main board out of the way you can see a thermal breaker and the brake resistors mounted to the outside of the centrifuge chamber, to the right. Check to see if the breaker is open. If it is, reset it, plug the machine in and turn it on, and try two or three test runs up to full speed, and let it brake at setting 9. If you lose power again, check the thermal breaker - if it is open again, the braking resistors are generating too much heat and need to be replaced.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1