Discussion Category:  CO2 Incubator

Excess water in incubator

We have 2 Forma 3110 stacked. Bottom incubator has been accumulating water in bottom and also droplets on back of incubator and some on sides. We don't have an RH sensor installed. We keep it at 5%CO2, 37c. The Jacket vent is uncapped as is the chamber gas sample port. Top incubator is fine. 

Any idea what is causing this and what steps can be taken to fix it?

Thanks

Edit: we do keep a humidity pan in bottom, but I've taken it out today to see if the water accumulates without the humidity pan in the incubator.

Asked by

matthewsmith
Report this Post
davidkainReply by
davidkain

Check the door gasket. Try to slip a business card past the seal. If you can, the seal is bad. I'm not sure if they are available from Thermo any more. Also their Tech Support is helpful, I never hesitate to call them.

Report this Post
matthewsmith

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked that today and the gasket seems good, couldn't slip a business card in at all anywhere around it.

Oddly, with the humidity pan being out of it for the last day, there's no moisture. I just don't know why having a normal level of water in the humidity pan would lead to excessive moisture (and even water accumulation). Maybe the temp is too high (panel reads 37 but could need calibrating)? Will check that.

The only other thing changed between yesterday (excess moisture) and today (no excess moisture) is when I went to start working on the incubator I noticed the air filter line was disconnected from the fan. I rarely used this incubator so didn't notice it before, I reconnected it. Any reason a loose air filter line would lead to moisture accumulation? Guess the way to check is either disconnect the air filter line again or put the humidity back in.

Good idea to call Thermo, this thing is pretty old but their tech support might still be willing to assist.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1