Discussion Category:  Balances

MT5 giving Err Load

We have just obtained a surplus MT5, which was in a working industrial lab for many years.  Its basic function seems good; the menu displays are what I expect, the draft shield moves properly, etc.  At present it disagrees by about 1 mg with a recently-calibrated analytical balance on the mass of a 650 mg weigh boat.

However, when I initiate a self-calibration, it fails.  I get a 'cal 0' message, then 'cal', and at this latter stage the 'delta' radial indicator suggests that the load is near the upper limit for the balance.  This 'cal' indication disappears, and then after a few seconds I get an 'Err Load' error indicator.

I have removed and cleaned the balance pan twice.  It's not pristine, but it seems pretty doggone good. As far as I can tell it doesn't have anything stuck to its post.  I can weigh a little bit of tissue and get a reading of 126 micrograms with the expected behavior, with no indications that the movement of the balance pan is restricted.

What other than a dirty pan can cause the Err Load message?  Is it likely that the reference weights are dirty or damaged?  Can anyone suggest diagnostic checks that would be useful?

Thank you!

-George.

Asked by

GeorgeM
Report this Post
jburkman11Reply by
jburkman11

Err Load means there is a problem with the internal calibration.  Either the internal reference masses are not being loaded properly or the raw count output from the cell is not within the allowable range that should be seen when the internal reference mass is in place.  The balance would need to be disassembled and evaluated.  Due to its complexity,  age and lack of service replacement parts our technicians will usually not work on them.  I am sorry to not have a more favorable answer!   

Jennifer Burkman
METTLER TOLEDO
www.mt.com  
Report this Post
jburkman11Reply by
jburkman11

I forgot to mention that you could check too see if there is service provider locally that can work on this model. 

Jennifer Burkman
METTLER TOLEDO
www.mt.com  
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1