Discussion Category:  Shakers

Cannot clear

Hi
Got "Overtemp Shutdown" error/alarm.

Temperature is reading correctly and so is overtemp sensor. The alarm will not clear and re-appears after restart.

Any ideas?

Thanks; Simon

Asked by

HFI-sam
Report this Post
medphysteo

There's a thermal safety breaker on the back of the machine next to the heating elements. See if it's popped. Check fans and airflow, and temperature sensors if it happens again. There's a user manual on the product information page under Documents (http://www.labwrench.com/?equipment.view/equipmentNo/8142/Thermo-Forma/4518-Orbital-Shaker/). It has this information.

Jeff

Report this Post
HFI-sam

Hi Jeff

I have done a bit more investigating and found that the overtemp alarms were at 17.9deg. It will not let me increase this but can decrease it.  Spraying cold spray on the sensors makes the alarm go off and the heater turns on.

I am guessing that it requires more investing aton the board.

Many thanks;

Simon

Report this Post
medphysteo

Hi Simon,

Have looked over section 3 of the manual? I wonder if there's a calibration issue, or a sensor has faulted. Thermo tech support can probably give you a steer. I have been able to solve weird temperature issues on old Thermo/Fisher incubators by replacing the electrolytic caps, even if they look good.

Jeff

Report this Post
HFI-sam

Hi Jeff

I was suspecting something on the board and elect capacitors would be a prime suspect. I believe the sensors are fine as both the main and overtemp are reading approximatly the correct temperature. Im guessing that there are no actual board circuit diagrams available?

Many thanks;

Simon

Report this Post
medphysteo

Hi Simon,

I don't have any of these units so I've never pursued service manuals, but Thermo tech support may have and though they won't help with board level repairs they're usually pretty good about giving out diagrams and such. 

Jeff

Report this Post
HFI-sam

Hi Jeff

Sorry to be a pain,do you have the contact details for their support. I didn't get very far with it in Australia?

Report this Post
medphysteo

Oh, sorry Simon, I didn't realize it was you again. I got some info, can you post me your email? Or look mine up in my profile.

Jeff

Report this Post
HFI-sam
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1