Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Error 42 - Any information?

I saw this same issue was posted two years ago with no response. I'm hoping someone has the service manual or at least the list of error codes. We have an Allegra 25R intermittently displaying an error 42 - the user manual is vague as to the cause.  Thanks!

Asked by

mwi
Report this Post
dpkleessr

Since I can't find my manual right now, what does the operator's manual say for that error?  Anything that you can provide might help although it has been 5 years since I last touched a 25R.

Don

Report this Post
mwi

Hi Don,

The manual is incredibly vague.

For errors 1-62, the "Problem" is "Microprocessor or
mechanical error".

Thanks!

Report this Post
dpkleessr

OK, I see what you mean so let me try to find the old manual and I'll get back to you.

Don

Report this Post
mwi

Great thanks Don!

Report this Post
medphysteo

Don,

It's the imbalance flag.

Jeff

Report this Post
mwi

Quote medphysteo

Don,

It's the imbalance flag.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I'll clean the buckets and lubricate the supports to see if that fixes the issue.  If that doesn't work I'll take a look at the opto switch.

Report this Post
mwi

The buckets are fine. The error occurs at the very start of a run. I'm planning to check/replace the opto switch. The front panel has a calibration sticker with +9 for the imbalance sensor. I found the calibration procedure for X-15 but not the 25R. Jeff - do you happen to have that?

Thanks!

Report this Post
medphysteo

I do, but in the meantime, is the flag interrupting the opto path? Sometimes they come out and get bent so they aren't in the path. You might just have to carefully put it back in place and straighten it a bit. 

Report this Post
medphysteo

Ok, here it is. I would read it through very carefully several times and if you're sure you've got it, you're a better man than I am. Personally I think I'd wait for Don.

3.5.7.1   Adjustment of Imbalance Switch

Determining the static imbalance value: 

Activate service mode (see section 3.5.8)
•        Select service mode 5
Press "ENTER”
—* The value of the static imbalance appears in the time display

Adjustment: The value of the static imbalance must be between 300 and 400.

In case of deviations:

•    Use rotor with a weight of 5.5 kg

•    Adjust gray wedge in the middle of the light barrier. The potentiometer on the circuit board (see Fig. 3.10) of the gray wedge is in the center position. (Notch respectively flattened part point vertically upwards.)  *... my interpretation, screwdriver notch is horizontal, arrow pointing up ...*

•     By turning the potentiometer set a value of 350.

The imbalance values in the above table, both for cut-off imbalance and max. permissible imbalance at critical speed, depend on the rotor type and mass. Water filled centrifuge glasses are suitable to simulate an imbalance (1 ml ~1gram).

3.5.8 Service Mode

The service mode is switched on by pressing the Up arrow key once and then the ENTER key three times, holding it for more than three seconds the third time. The centrifuge indicates that the service mode has been activated by displaying ‘SER’ in the time display; the menu number in the program display and the menu options as full text in the speed display.

By pressing STOP, the normal operating mode is reactivated.

Important:

In order to follow the instructions given below correctly, you should first read out the number of the software version by using service mode No. 0. The table ,"Menu options" should be observed!

The software version can also be determined by pressing the key "FSTOP" before or up to three seconds after switching the centrifuge on.

Procedure:
• Press Up Arrow key and then ENTER key three times; hold ENTER key when pressing for the
third time.
• Use Up and Down arrow keys to select the required function and activate it by pressing ENTER
key. If the chosen menu option has a substructure, it is possible to return to the main menu by pressing STOP.

• No.5: Display of static imbalance warning limit
The parameter setting run for determining the warning limit is not applicable from software version 1.75 onwards. Service mode No. 2 replaces the parameter setting run. Only the static imbalance limit is displayed. The warning limit is n/10 of the cut-off limit and n lies between n=[0...10] and is permanently stored in the EPROM.

* ....  (since "Service Mode No. 2 replaces the parameter setting run") ....  *

• No. 2: Determination of Imbalance Correction Value and Parameter Setting Run
In service mode No. 2, an imbalance correction value can be set to increase or decrease the sensitivity to an imbalance. A positive value decreases and a negative value increases the sensitivity.
Caution!This correction value is valid for all rotors of the type of centrifuge in use!
The following table shows the conversion of correction values into their corresponding correction factor using the formula 1/(1+x) for negative and 1+(x/10) for positive values:

The correction value should be determined by means of a parameter setting run.
Proceed as follows:
• Select suitable rotor and load with test weight (see table 3.3).
• For refrigerated centrifuges: Set temperature at 40 0C (Refrigeration should not switch on during parameter setting run).
• Press ENTER in service mode No. 2 until imbalance LED lights up.
• The acceleration curve 9, the maximum speed of the rotor used and a run time of 10 minutes are used automatically after activating the parameter setting run under point two of the service mode. The run can be started by pressing START without leaving the service mode.
• After the run the imbalance LED is turned off and the calculated factor is stored in the EEPROM and is displayed.
• Erase EEPROM completely prior to determining the correction value.
• No vibrations should be present during the acceleration phase. In case of doubt repeat the steps described above as applicable
• Do not erase EEPROM completely after this service mode has been carried out, as the imbalance correction value would be lost in this case. If the EEPROM has been erased accidentally, enter the correction values in point 2 of the service mode by pressing the keys ?and ?.
• Carry out a test run with cut-off weights to verify the correction value that has been determined.
The value can be set manually in the service mode if the customer finds the determined value to be too sensitive/insensitive. The above table should be observed and the value altered accordingly: positive (less sensitive) and negative (more sensitive).
Proceed as follows:
• Activate service mode and select menu No. 2
• Press ENTER once to activate the manual input mode
• Measured correction value flashes in temperature display
• Set desired correction value by using Up Arrow and Down Arrow keys
• Confirm and leave service mode by pressing STOP
As a rule it is neither necessary nor advisable to carry out this procedure, instead reenter the value listed on the label.    *...   :-D   you're on your own with that one... *

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Actually Jeff, your idea about carefully repositioning the flag to its correct position between the legs of the detector should fix the problem. That was one of the more common issues with the A25R and I still have not been able to find my manual so just go with what Jeff has posted. I would not worry about the calibration of the flag if it was only out of position as long as the flag has not gotten all scratched up.

Don

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2