Discussion Category:  Other MS

Jammed power switch on Gasbench II

Hello,

Today I had to power off our GasBench II to install a new Jumo iTRON temperature controller.

As per the GasBench OM, I shut off the power switch and unplugged the instrument before replacing the temp controller. After the install, I plugged the GasBench back in, and went to flip the power switch back on. Try as I might, however, I cannot get the switch to flip to the 'on' position. Am I missing something here? This was supposed to be a quick, simple Saturday afternoon task.

Best,

Jordon Munizzi, PhD

Research Facility Manager

Erhardt Stable Isotope Geochemistry Lab

University of Kentucky

Asked by

J_Munizzi
Report this Post
medphysteo

Hello Dr. Munizzi,

You're not missing anything, rocker switches occasionally fail internally and jam. I'm not at all familiar with your machine but from what I can see in your OM (page 2-3), it looks like the cover comes off easily (either the left side or the front/top) and you can access the power inlet module on the lower left side. The switch may be separate or built into the module. Either way, there should be some indication on it as to manufacturer and part number. It should be easy to source through Mouser or Digi-Key, if you don't want to have Thermo come in.

Best Regards,

Jeff 

Report this Post
J_Munizzi

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your response. You are correct about the failure - as you can see in the linked image (https://imgur.com/a/ZPq2h), the resistor inside the switch failed.

For anyone else that may encounter this issue, the switch is an Arcoelectric brand 16A, 250V AC, model number C1553AA.

Thanks again Jeff,

Jordon

Jordon Munizzi, PhD

Research Facility Manager

Erhardt Stable Isotope Geochemistry Lab

Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences

Univerisity of Kentucky  
Report this Post
medphysteo

Glad to help. Any lighted rocker of the same panel cut-out dimensions, electrical ratings, and switch action will do for a replacement, in case you have trouble getting the exact Arco switch.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1