Discussion Category:  Fermenters / Bioreactors

gas flow meter problem

I have a bioflo 115 in my lab with 1 gas setting, some water got inside the device and into the mass flow meter, which is making it not work properly and the float inside the (mfm) isn't functioning. How do I fix that? and stop water from going the other way into the bioflo when gas sparge is connected to the reactor.

please need help with that asap!

Asked by

basmas
Report this Post
cmb

The rotameter can be cleaned with a mild detergent solution. A web search will throw up tutorials on how to clean a rotameter.

To remove the rotameter.

Disconnect control station from power.

Remove rear panel.

Label and remove tubes connected to the rotameter.

Remove the two nuts that hold the rotameter in place whilst supporting the rotameter.

Dismantle and clean rotameter components.

With this system, most gas flow issues are caused by wet or clogged filters inlet/ exhaust. Fluid being forced up the sparge usually indicates the exhaust filter is either wet or blocked with foam. Foam issues can be resolved with either, antifoam, foam beater or a foam trap in the exhaust line. Filter wetting can be reduced by the use of a condenser and or increasing the distance between the condenser and the filter or mounting exhaust filters in parallel on the exhaust line.

Other things to check.

Check gas supply pressure. I would recommend running at 10 psi.

Check that control mode for DO and PH set to auto.

Check that gas flow loop is on and DO cascade on.

Report this Post
basmas

Hello cmb, thanks for your reply!

I tried the steps mentioned above to uninstalll the rotameter to clean it from inside, but i still wasnt able to unscrew it from the top...any advice or available videos on that? it has like a small flat bolt on top that doesnt fit screwdrivers..I can attach a photo for further info as well.

Thanks for your time and help.

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1