Discussion Category:  Scintillation Counters

Zero counts

Trying to resurrect an LS 6500. Got the elevator working and fixed a printer problem. Now I'm getting H# Count rate too low error when counting. If I switch to just plain cpm I get a count rate of zero. Suspect power supply, but everything else seems to work. Is there a separate HV supply for the PMTs? Any way to test that? I've got lots of instrument troubleshooting/repair experience, just no schematics or service manual make it tough to proceed.

SN is 7067355.  It's got the Wyse thin client.

Asked by

marchem
Report this Post
dpkleessr
No, those are the high voltage anti static probes you are seeing in the picture. The PMT's are found inside the lead shielding found inside of the top cover. Don
Report this Post
marchem

Don, would swapping the left and right PMTs directly be worth trying?  I know it's a hassle to get them out, but that should identify if it's a PMT or socket problem.

Rob

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Forgot to discuss your statement about what to expect from Beckman. First, when I retired 5 1/2 years ago, a single PMT cost over $5,000 and a socket was over $1,000. Ridiculous pricing for parts whose real cost was a small fraction of that price but their pricing just the same. A 3rd party service group may be more cost effective but I have little knowledge of any reputable groups nor there actual reliabilty or capability. I wish that I could help more but I am really out of the loop beyond my own pre retirement experiences.

Don

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Rob, there is some benefit in trying that in that by knowing right now which side is showing activity and swapping the tubes around you can see if the activity LED's change with the swapping of the tubes, which is much easier than swapping the sockets around.

Don

Report this Post
LG1

I still think we'll opt for service since it sounds like getting a PMT from 3rd party could be risky, as well as handling them and requiring recalibration, but for my knowledge how would I access the PMT if I wanted to swap? After removing the top cover is it pretty simple to open the lead shielding?

Also, is the DS2 light being on indicating that is the defective side? Or the side that's working? 

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Rob, Obviously who you decide for on service is your choice. I do not even know who BCI has that can still work on them as most of the "old dogs" such as myself have retired. As long as you or anyone else takes reasonable precautions then handling of the PMT's is not that big of a deal. If you decide to go the route of replacing the PMT then we will go into more detail. Again, it is not inherently difficult. It just takes a little time and being careful with handling the PMT. In addition to the "light shock" previously talked about, PMT's are especially sensitive to "physical shock" such that they can be broken and you will have no knowledge of that fact until you try to use it. Generally this type of problem would be manifested after dropping a PMT or bumping it with a good amount of force so this falls into the category of just being careful with the handling of a PMT.

Don

Report this Post

Page 3 of 3