Discussion Category:  GC-Ion Trap

Varian Saturn 2000 Pump Error

We have a Varian GCMS (CP3500 GC/Saturn 2000 MS).  The turbo pump won't go past 12%.  After 10-15 minutes, "Pump Error: Control Fault Occurred".  I can't figure out what's wrong or how to fix it, or who might do field service (I assume Agilent does not repair the old Varian GCMSs).

Asked by

Brett Stanley
Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie
I would verify that there are no obvious gross keaks and that all seals are intact. Make sure your rough pump is pulling a good vacuum and then try pumping down again. The GCMS interface is a good spot to check for leaks. If everything looks good and it doesn't get past 10-15% either the Turbo pump or it's controller is bad. You can pull the Turbo and try a deadspin test on it to see if it appears to be freespinning. Looking down on the find if you rapidly twist the body in either direction, the find should appear to remain still and not rotate with the pump. If tgeyove with the pump it could indicate a pump issue as opposed to controller. Let me know how it goes. I do still provide service on these systems, however parts can be hard to find. Dan

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post
Brett Stanley

Thanks Dan for the reply.  Well I had already taken everything apart and cleaned all the seals, and re-installed the MS end of the column in a new ferrule, because I thought there might be a leak because I thought the rough pump was a bit loud for too long.  Although I didn't conduct the deadspin test as you describe it, I noticed while handling the turbo pump that the blades seemed to move freely.  Upon reassembly, as well as trying another old pump we had for spare, I don't think it is the rough pump.  It is pumping quietly now, so I do not think I have a leak.  I could redo the deadspin test to make sure, but I'm now thinking it is the controller.  Do you think we can find one or are these not made anymore?  I haven't looked in the electronics side yet to see what part it is to look up.

Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie

You should be able to find the controller for this pump, you might try A&J Vacuum Services or Kurt Lesker Pump Services.

Dan

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1