Discussion Category:  UV/VIS Spectrophotometers

Is it possible to connect DU-640 to old laptop through RS232?

I just got a previously owned DU-640 spectrophotometer. For some reasons, it came with a CD disk with DU800 System and Applications Software (v 2.1).

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to connect DU-640 to old laptop through RS232?

2. If yes, would DU800 software work with DU-640?

3. If not, what floppy drive to use and how to connect it to transfer data from DU-640?

Thank you very much in advance

Asked by

Alex S.
Report this Post
dpkleessr
Yes, you can connect the DU640 to a PC via RS232 BUT you cannot use the DU800 program to do so. The DU800 software works in conjunction with the DU800's internal computer via a USB connection. The DU600 series can be connected to a PC using a Beckman program called DU WinConnect software. I doubt that you will be able to get it anymore from Beckman but you can try them or try to find it online. It is a very easy program to use and worked very well considering the limitations of both devices. I had several customers that used it and liked it Don
Report this Post
Alex S.

Don, thanks a lot for your prompt response. I appreciate it. If it is not possible to control DU-64- from laptop, I would better transfer the data as text files using a floppy disk, for example. Can I do it? If yes, how could I connect a floppy drive? Alex

Report this Post
dpkleessr
The only way to transfer files via a floppy disk was by using the optional floppy disk drive that was connected internally to the main board and then thru a cable connected to the back panel of the spec. I know of no other way to do what you want to do. I may still have a copy of the WinConnect software on CD buried in my archives. If I do I will let you know here and we'll figure out how to get you a copy. Don
Report this Post
Alex S.

Don, I so much appreciate your encouraging support and help! If you can find a copy of the WinConnect software, that would be great. Alex

Report this Post
Alex S.

Don, I turned the machine off and it shows two failures:

1. RAM FAILURE and 2. RAM BATTERY BACKUP FAILURE. Is it fixable? Please advise. It is sad, I just got this machine today. Alex

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Alex, It may take me a few days to deal with getting thru all of my old stuff so please give me some time on trying to find the disk.

Don

Report this Post
Alex S.

"ON" not "OFF"

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Yes it is easy to fix.  There is a lithium battery on the main board that can be replaced.  The fact that you received this message means that everything previously stored in the battery backed up memory will have been lost.  So basically you are going to be starting from ground zero other than the hard programs stored in the ePROMS.  So after starting the spec up after replacing the battery expect to see the same errors UNTIL you recalibrate the spec.  If you have what is known as an accessory board installed on your spec then you will have to remove it from the back of the spec in order to get to the battery.  The battery is a BR2325 lithium battery.  It is not one of the most common large button batteries out there but it is the only one that will fit properly.

Don

Report this Post
Alex S.

Thanks a lot, Dan! But as I understand, this relates to "RAM BATTERY BACKUP FAILURE". But what about "RAM FAILED". Does this failure also relate to the battery?

Alex

Report this Post
Alex S.

Don, I am sorry for the typo in your name. Alex

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2