Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Looking for a Service Manual

Looking for a Service Manual for Beckman Coulter - Avanti JXN-26

Asked by

david_4314
Report this Post
LabX Staff

You can find various technical documents for this unit on the Beckman Coulter website, https://www.beckman.com/search#q=Avanti%20JXN-26&t=coveo-tab-techdocs .

Report this Post
dpkleessr

David, I tried to reply to you but I'm not sure that my reply went thru OK.  Anyway, Beckman Coulter service manuals are considered proprietary documents and as such are generally not for sale UNLESS local area service management approves of their sale and that policy existed for the almost 33 years that I worked for them.  Even if that happened, the manual would still be incomplete because no service manuals ever came with service memos and update information as a part of the basic manual.  Those were given out in company service engineer training classes.  Beyond this information, I really can't help you beyond anything purely the mechanical aspects of the J26NX series as they were manufactured after I retired from BCI.

Don

Report this Post
terrymarshall2807

Don,

Dave is my boss. I am the FSE working on this unit. I suspect that the motor mounts have degraded (they are black) and that has caused an issue with the motor boot/ hall effect sensor assembly. Not having a manual, I am not sure that if I called to get part numbers that I would be using the correct terms to describe these parts. Any insight that you could offer would be appreciated. 

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Terry, If your drive mounts are solid black then they are probably a part of the problem.  I don't believe that the mounts part number have changed but I will try to find out from an old friend that still works for BCI.  As someone that was a part of the Avanti program from the beginning until I retired I can tell you that I had to come up with some of my own fixes to vacuum problems that were NOT in any service manual.  For starters, after replacing the drive mounts, I put a light coating of high vacuum grease around the rib on the bottom of the boot assembly in order to get a tight fit.  In addition, I also put the high vacuum grease on the threads of the screws that hold the boot to the chamber.  There is an indentation around the top of the drive motor assembly.  I also put some vacuum grease into that gap.  One thing about high vacuum grease, too much is a bad thing and cause more problems than it fixes.  Another thing to look at is the possibility of debris having gotten up underneath the chamber gasket.  You might be surprised just how much junk gets caught up under the gasket.  You can lift it up slightly and then clean any debris out from underneath it although some of it may need to be scraped out with the edge of a screwdriver so be very careful to no cut the gasket.  Another issue that was discovered with the Avanti refrigeration chambers was that the foam underneath them that acts as the spacer between the chamber and the chassis collapses over time and than also can cause vacuum problems.  There is NO easy fix for that problem if it happens.  I will get back to you next week after my friend gets back to work on Monday.

Don

Report this Post
terrymarshall2807

Thank you Don. I was able to get the part numbers by calling Beckman and they are ordered. I appreciate all the tips. I was wondering if I should try vacuum grease under the motor boot. 

I would be very interested in making direct contact with you if you are interested. If so, my email is terrymarshall@ymail.com. If you contact me, I can go into more detail about my background and what our company does. I will tell you that we do a tremendous amount of work in the centrifuge field as a depot repair and field service organization as well as a refurbished parts and equipment supplier. I am certain that I could use your insight on a number of different things.

Back to the problem at hand, I do have a couple of concerns about this particular unit. First, this is obviously a direct drive motor as opposed to past versions such as the JE. I think it is probably similar to other past direct drive models with which you would be familiar so I am wondering if you could give me a heads up on any issues replacing the motor mounts.

Secondly, we are new to this account and one of the things I noticed is that the AC voltages are low. I would assume that it is not strapped properly, but I have no information on how to strap this unit and when I looked at the transformer I didn't see any indications on how to do that. Don't know if you can help me there as I am aware that you retired a while back and do not have direct experience on this particular model, but just thought I would ask.

Again, thanks much. I have learned a great deal from following the comments that you have made on this and other posts in this forum and will continue to look here for insight when needed. I, and I am sure others, appreciate your contributions.

Report this Post
terrymarshall2807

Oh, one more thing Don. How can I tell if the foam has collapsed under the chamber or not? Is there something I should do to prevent this? Also, I am about 4 hrs. from the site and would like to be prepared if possible in case this is an issue. 

Report this Post
dpkleessr

You can tell when the can is collapsing on the foam because the gap between the top of the can, the gasket, and the top cover of the centrifuge do not all fit together snugly.  We actually had gasket shim kits that could handle minor settling of the can but over time those kits just could not handle the differences in the spacing and you could only use 2 kits maximum to make up the spacing difference.

I will send you an email early next week to make direct contact.

Don

Report this Post
terrymarshall2807

Thanks, Don. I am planning on being back on site next Tues. Will await your email. I have other machines that I would like to discuss with you and I think it would be easier thru email rather than jumping around thru various forums. I wouldn't even mind making phone contact, but I am not comfortable putting my phone number on here.

Report this Post
terrymarshall2807

Just want to say that replacing the motor mounts and the motor boot resolved this 'slow vacuum' issue. I might add that there was a lot of gunk in the groove on top of the motor that the boot fits into that should be cleaned in order for the boot to seat properly. Also, I would recommend using hi-vacuum grease at the seal points on the motor boot.

Kudos to dpkleessr for all of his help. 

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1