Discussion Category:  Sample Preparation

Tecan Fluent Programming

Hi All, In my lab we have just installed the Tecan Fluent and I have started to find out how to start to program with the FluentControl software. There are a couple of questions that were not clearly addressed by Tecan when I asked them up front. 1. how can I create a subscript that can perform repeated segments in my normal script. I'd rather have to make one subscript that I can 'call' every time I need it. 2. Is there an easier way to get the information on all the variables in the script and the script setup besides using the Fluent software? I have programming experience with R and I see some similarities, but the software is a bit slow when I compare it to R. Dirk

Asked by

dirk.vanessen
Report this Post
jhitchcock

For your first question, what you're looking for is called a subroutine. Create your sub as a script and save it, then under "programming" you'll see the options to insert into your main script. You can make it synchronous or asynchronous. Applications I've seen: FCA is performing a serial dilution off to the left of the deck while the RGA is moving plates in and out of a carousel (this was on a 1080)...later in the script on the same instrument, a subroutine was created to control a shaker with a 300ml trough (shake for x seconds, stop, loop through this y times) while the FCA/MCA were pipetting.

Under "window" at the top, you can view all of your variables and their value/scope...but that is still inside FC, so I am not sure this answers your second question.

Report this Post
dirk.vanessen

Dear J Hitchcock, 

Thank you for your reply. I would like to improve my understanding of the Tecan programming and all the options, but am unable to find a suitable way to learn this. Do you know anyone (netherlands area) or abroad that can help me to understand / improve my programming on the Tecan Fluent?

Dirk

Report this Post
nucleusautomation

Dirk,

I came across your post today.  I am an ex-Tecan senior application scientist and have worked with the Fluent extensively.  I have my own consulting business doing both scripting/implementations as well as training.  I would be happy to work with you on the Fluent programming if this is still a need.  I have also done external programming such as VBScript, Python, C# and have done some work with the Fluent API.

My company is Nucleus Automation Partners LLC www.nucleus-automation.com

and my email is mike dot mueller at nucleus-automation dot com.

Please reach out to me directly and we can discuss your needs.

Mike Mueller

Report this Post
Optimize
Hey Dirk, I saw your question i've had similar issues but managed to write an application that directly inputs data into FluentControl to be executed "dynamically" for example, experiment defines lab ware types, lab ware locations, pipetting volumes, liquid types user walks up to Fluent, executes method from touchscreen, selects the experiment to run, experimental data is uploaded into fluentControl, loading instructions are created dynamically & method starts www.optimizeyourlab.com regarding the "subscript" question - you could either create "modules" to execute from the main script OR "sub-routines" the operation is essentially the same, but sub-routines are my preference as they allow a better mechanism to parallel process actions e.g. pipetting, movements, data crunching, reading etc as multiple asynchronous subroutines we offer various training options for FluentControl to deep dive into the many modes of use & programming
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1