Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Unit won't power up

I have an Optima L-90K that has sat for a few years in my lab. It was not powered on but was plugged in . If I flip the switch on the right, noting happens. there is power going to the unit. I opened the front cover and saw that at least one LED was lit, so there is power going to some of the unit. I have no idea where to start looking to trouble shoot this. I did see the post by Don about there being a switch on the front cover that can cause this issue. Are there any other areas I should be looking at?

Asked by

Lloyd.trueblood6688
Report this Post
Lloyd.trueblood6688

Update:  I ruled out the front cover switch.  So still hunting for other ideas.

Report this Post
Lloyd.trueblood6688

Update:  I ruled out the front cover switch.  So still hunting for other ideas.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Lloyd, Do you have access to a DVM to check voltages?  There are any number of things that can prevent a power up.

Don

Report this Post
Lloyd.trueblood6688

Optima L-90K

Report this Post
Lloyd.trueblood6688

Hi Don, Sorry, I'm having a hard time with LabWrench's forum set up.  Yes, I do have access to a digial volt meter.  HOwever, I think I may have found at least part of the problem.  I opened the cabinet front and the right hand circut board seems to have had an issue. I have pictures, but LabWench only seems to take URL's for photos, not uploads from my computer.  Regardless, the right hand board had what looked like  streak of dust/smoke on it just  the left of the 350V 60UF capcitor on the far right of the board. It acutlly looks like it may have come from one of the 250V .22 uF square capacitors directly above it.  I pulled the board out and noticed that all four of the 10V 1500 uF capciters looked like the had run hot based on on a bit of discoloration on the board.  None of them seemed to have popped.  When I check them for resistance in circuit they seem ok, increasing resistance.  Also the six 3 Ohm 7W resisters on the board all had hot spots on the back as well.  I'm trying to see if someone over in our comptuer science department has an ESR meter I can borrow to double check the capaciters in circuit as I'd prefer not to pull them off the board if I don't have to as I'm relatively new to soildering.  If I can figure out how to upload the pictures I will as they make it much easier to see what I am describing.  Thank you very much for taking time to help me out on this. 

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1