Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Top panel removal and re-installation

I am an experienced electronic tech (40 years) , but this is only my second centrifuge repair. What is the recommended procedure for removing and re-installing the top cover on a Beckman Avanti J-25 floor model centrifuge. It seems the trick is releasing tension from the lid hinge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by

tom.jacob_6808
Report this Post
hz618211322
To remove and reinstall the top cover on a Beckman Avanti J-25 floor model centrifuge, follow these recommended steps: Ensure that the centrifuge is powered off and disconnected from the power source before starting any maintenance procedure. Locate the retaining screws or bolts securing the top cover to the centrifuge. These are typically located along the sides or back of the cover. Use the appropriate tool (such as a screwdriver or wrench) to loosen and remove these screws/bolts. Carefully lift the top cover straight up, applying even pressure. Be cautious of any wires or cables connected to the cover, and ensure they are not strained or damaged during removal. Once the top cover is lifted off, set it aside in a safe and clean location, away from any potential hazards or contaminants. To reinstall the top cover, ensure that the centrifuge is still powered off and disconnected from the power source. Position the top cover over the centrifuge, aligning it properly with the body of the instrument. Take care to align any wire or cable connections, ensuring they are properly routed and not pinched. Insert the retaining screws or bolts back into their respective holes and tighten them securely. Follow any recommended torque specifications if provided by the manufacturer. Once all the retaining screws/bolts are tightened, double-check the alignment and stability of the top cover. Make sure it is properly seated and securely attached to the centrifuge. Reconnect the centrifuge to the power source and turn it on. Verify that the top cover is correctly installed and there are no issues or abnormal noises during startup. It's important to note that these steps provide general guidance. However, for specific instructions tailored to your centrifuge model, it is always recommended to consult the manufacturer's user manual or contact Beckman Coulter's customer support for detailed information.
Report this Post
tom.jacob_6808
Thank you for the response. The unit I repaired required some additional effort to remove the top. There are 4 slots in the top of the chassis that engage with 4 tabs in the top panel. The trick is the spring loaded door hinge must be pried out of the way to lift and slide forward the top panel. There was a small opening in the top panel, that the hinge protrudes from. By the way, this unit was showing a door open fault. I was able to replace the IR sensor on one of the 2 door sensor boards, and this cured the issue.
Report this Post
dpkleessr
Since you managed to remove the top cover I will provide you with a little more information since I worked on them for 17 years before I retired from BCI. First, you must remove the covers from the display console. After removing all of the back cover screws and releasing the front panel, you should then go down inside of the chassis and unscrew the turnbuckle that is a part of the door spring assembly that open and closes the centrifuge noting where the turnbuckle was positioned before unscrewing it. I used a black marker pen so I knew how much tension to put on the assembly after wards. That removes the tension from the assembly and allows the door hinge to move freely which allows the relatively easy removal of the door assembly. Those tabs on the back of the top cover are also quite easy to snap off, too. Anytime you do the kind of work you did you should also check underneath the chamber gasket for any built up debris as that can cause vacuum problems over time and NEVER apply any kind of vacuum grease to the chamber gasket. Sometimes instead of replacing the door sensors you can clean them with some alcohol not to mention cleaning the reflective surfaces on the eye bolt assemblies. The latch plungers should also have a light coating of grease but too much can cause issues too. Don K.
Report this Post
tom.jacob_6808
Thanks for the response Don K. I'll just say I'm glad there is no video evidence of my removal "technique". I think I will have at least on more of these J-25s coming my way, so you tips will be helpful. Tom J.
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1