Discussion Category:  LC-MS Systems

LTQ XL noise peaks problem

Dear Thermo, we have a LTQ XL system installed about two years ago. In the scan range of 150-2000 m/z, there are too many noise peaks that I couldn't see my molecular ion peaks, additionally I tried to calibrate the instrument with this conditions. I changed the ion transfer tube with the new one and also cleaned the skimmer and tube lens with methanol several times. However, nothing has changed. do you have any suggestion for this problem? A. Emin Atik Rsch. Assis. Izmir Institute of Technology - Turkey ahmetatik@iyte.edu.tr

Asked by

eminatik
Report this Post
LabWrenchManagerReply by
LabWrenchManager
Hi, To clean the tube lens and the skimmer you can also use a mixture methanol/water 50/50. Did you check the purity of your nitrogen gas, sometimes this could generates a lot of impurities (e.g m./z 214 in positive ion mode). Furthermore I will check the purity of your solvents. I hope my suggestions will help you. regards. Tommaso Thanks to T. Miraval for providing this response.

Melanie Playne
LabWrench Product Manager

Stay Connected with LabWrench:
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Join the Lab Equipment Solutions Group on LinkedIn

Report this Post
LabWrenchManagerReply by
LabWrenchManager
Please check the gas filter's if you connected with the gas generator or then purity of the gas going in the system. Otherwise there will be a contamination in the inner part of the system which need to be clean ny the service engineer. please send the list of major m/z which is showing in the chormatogram as impurity. You can also match with list of ESI contaminants. Please let me know which kind of sample your are infusing??. Thanks to A. Kumar Ph.D for providing this response.

Melanie Playne

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Report this Post
LabWrenchManagerReply by
LabWrenchManager
In answer to the question about contaminants: The m/z 214 mentioned by Tommaso is probably N-butylbenzenesulfonamide (CAS 3622842, C10H15NO2S, MH+ = m/z 214.09018). This response was provided by R. Cody

Melanie Playne

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1