Discussion Category:  PCR / Thermal Cyclers

Service Manual

Does anyone have a service manual for a Roche Lightcycler 480 please?

Asked by

Bodasafa
Report this Post
Yat

Richard,

Did you get any luck finding a service manual for the LC-480?

My LC480 is down too and Roche wants me to pay $12.000 for a 2 year service contract before they will fix it. The  other option is to pay $300/hr plus parts and on top of that they want to charge 6 x $300 travelling time for their tech to just come out and look..

Do you find the LC480 is prone to break downs?

Report this Post
le

Ours broke, too- we have had it for three years. When I call the technical support and was told it was not too bad that the lamp unit (that is the part broken and needed $7k + to fix)  lasted for three years and I also learned the camera's life is 5 years which costs $10k+(parts only).  I was recomended to pay $6k /year for the service contract to keep the machine run, while the machine (AB stepone) in the next lab has been running for more than 5 years never had any problem.

Report this Post
Yat

My LC480 is actually on the 3rd lamp supply unit. It is only 3.5 years old. First one was replaced within the one year new warranty period - after 6 months of use. Second one broke down 11 months later. Had to fight with the company to get them to replace it, after going to the national manager level, they reluctantly replaced it on under warranty on the condition I purchase a UPS. Apparently the LC480 is very susceptible to power surges in the 220V line. The new ones are sold with an external UPS. Kind of makes sense both of the break downs occured in April-May when buildings start turning on the central air conditioning. So if your LC480 is not connected to an external UPS it might be a good idea to consider getting one. They run around $2K for one that is rated to protect the LC480. I can post the specs if anyone is interested.

As for my repair... I was originally offered le's deal of $6000/year for a contract and that included the replacement and installation of the broken part. I was going to go with it but the regional manager veto that offer for some reason or other. He told me the Account Excutive (Roche only has Excutives and no representives) made a mistake. (It is a long story and I don't want to get into it at the moment, but let me tell you I am not impressed with Roche.) So in the end was offered the "special" 2 year at 12K to get my LC480 up and running or I could do the pay as you go route. Pay for parts + labour + 6 hours of travel time. Parts was $2K for the PC control board or $5K for the 96 well block module. Labour would be 1-2 hours + 6 travel at $300/hr. So I was looking at 8 x$300 labour + parts ($2K or $5K or both $2K+$5K). Well, my LC480 was only used in my own lab, so ~ 300 runs total... the likely hood of the peltier in the block going off is remote. Most probable sceniaro is the PC Control Board is off which could be related to previous power surges. So here is what I did. I took a chance and I purchased the PC board for $2K and installed it myself. The board of course came with no installation instructions but aftering snooping around for 10 minutes and removing the side, back and top panels I found the location of the board. I fliped the 2 clips holding the old board in place and inserted the new board in place. Within 30 minutes( that's the whole job, including snooping around) I turned to LC480 back on, the computer recoginized a new PC control board was installed and preformed an auto reset/install of the new board on its own. Have to admit that is a nice design, kudos to the LC480 engineers. The fix was good, my LC480 has been running over 30 plates now and no problems. I just saved myself $10K and let me tell you it feels good not having to bend over for the Ontario sales manager.

As for your problem le, I watched the Roche tech replace the lamp supply unit. It is actually quite easy, everything is modular and plugs and screws right in, only thing is you need to be careful with is the fiber optic. Make sure it is gently placed in the fiber optic holder.  So I would check and see how much the part is and if you are handy with a screw driver or know someone who is good with computer hardware you can probably do your own install and save the money to buy the UPS if you don't already have one.

Scientifically speaking, I do like the LC480 when and if it is running, but this is the most fragile instrument I have ever owned in my 20 years of lab experience. Roche is always putting up road blocks to self repairs. Roche's business plan is flawed when it comes to outside warranty service. If you can't fork out money for a service contract it will be constant struggle. The repairs on the instrument in reality is actually quite straight forward. Everything is modular. The two major breakdowns common to the LC480  is really the block control and the lamp power supply module. There is no depot service, they want to charge you $300/hr for their techs to drive around the country. Roche aggresively discourages do it your selfers so they can sell you the $6K/year service contract. Kinda of rediculous when you can get a Rotorgene 6000 for $20K.  

If I were to do this again I would buy anything but Roche... If sample to sample temperature uniformity is a priority I would recommend the Qiagen Rotorgene... I actually hate the ring array or 0.1 ml tubes individual tubes, but it is a nice robust workhorse. The Illumina Eco is also interesting but I don't like the small 48 well block. 

Report this Post
TheLabSquadReply by
TheLabSquad

I don't believe there is a Service Manual, per se.  The LC480 has a maintenance mode (password required) that their techs use to get under the hood.    Bulbs are the number one issue.    ***Warning, gratuitous self promotion ***  Our business, The LabSquad (www.thelabsquad.com) offers PM contracts for a large number of instruments that are a far more cost effective alternative to OEM service contracts.

Report this Post
YPII

I am pretty sure I can replace this lamp unit (mine quit working after a lamp burst).  What I need to know is a source for obtaining the lamp unit HBX76.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Report this Post
LabWrenchSiteAdminReply by
LabWrenchSiteAdmin

Hello

Most LabWrench products have a YELLOW "Request a Quote button above the product photo.

I have provided you with a link below that will take you to the online request a quote form for the Roche LightCycler. Please fill in the required information and we will have your request sent out as soon as possible.  You can request quotes on parts and service also.

http://www.labwrench.com/?equipment.requestAQuote/equipmentNo/9960/Roche/LightCycler-/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Ronnie

Ronnie Stanley
LabWrench Administrator
info@labx.com  
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1