Discussion Category:  FT-IR Spectrophotometers

Laser Replacement

Good day,

when i  run the instrument it shows an error message saying Error performing scan return to endstop timedout,fatal scan error and on the instrument it says replace Laser

Asked by

Tiny
Report this Post
GCTechReply by
GCTech

I just had the same error on my Spectrum 100.  I replaced the laser and power supply and it fixed the problem.  The part number from perkin Elmer was L1200253 and includes both parts.  It is easy to replace.  Just make sure the triangle on the side of the laser is facing up and that the laser is not on top of any cables.  You should replace the dessicant after opening the case as well.  The parts cost me ~ $2600.

Report this Post
Dr. Victor Ponce

¿Can I know how long lasted your FTIR Laser in service before the change was needed?

Report this Post
GCTechReply by
GCTech

The original lasted around 6-years.  I really think I could have just replaced the power supply because I tested it after the fact when I had access to a high voltage DC meter and it was definitely bad. 

Report this Post
Dr. Victor Ponce

Thank you. Mine has failed after 2 years and 9 months, I'm really dissapointed it lasted so short.

Report this Post
GCTechReply by
GCTech

My instrument stays on 24-7.  Does yours get turned off/on a lot? The laser power supply puts out ~1500vdc so it may be best to cycle the power as little as possible.

Report this Post
Dr. Victor Ponce

Actually no. I keep it on as long as I can. I just remember there were some energy cuts by the company, I believe this could have reduced laser's service life.

Report this Post
Hung Siew

Hi GC Tech,

Good day to  you. Can I check with you where you get the laser and power supply? Please advice.

Thanks

Report this Post
GCTechReply by
GCTech

Hung, I purchased a kit from Perkin Elmer that included the laser and power supply.  The part number is: L1200253 and cost me $2600 in 2012. 

Report this Post
AJOY

Dear GC Tech, we have similar problem as Dr. Victor ponce - the Replacement Laser kit part no. L120-0253, installed in March 2011 has failed in Nov 2013 - 2 years and 8 months. The instrument was purchased in 2005 and the original unit lasted for 6 years which is same as your experience, but the replacement unit lasted only 2 years ++. In 2011, we paid USD 3400 approx after 20 % discount. This time PE has offered almost the same price stating its after 30 % discount as we were arguing with them on the short life span. You have purchased at USD 2600.00 just a year back. On PE USA website we saw a price of USD 3112.00 which is indeed not a discounted price. Please advise if there is anyway you can assist us to source this part at a low price or suggest a 3rd party part ? We would also like to have a clear a step wise procedure to remove existing part and replace with the new one. We are a bit concerned that PE's strategy is to earn through short life of high value parts like this.

Report this Post
Pure

Hi, I am not a forum member but we have purchased one of these and it needs a laser kit fitting. We have asked the price from Perkin Elmer in Australia. We were told it would cost around $5000.00 AUD - would you know if this is the case? Also, would you have instructions on how to replacing the laser.

Thank you, Diane

617 3820 9992 - diane@purefluidpower.com.au

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2