Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Sorvall Legend RT error code E-29

What exactly does E-29 mean when the Sorvall Legend RT centrifuge shows this in the display?  I've changed the circuit board attached to the bottom of the motor, which is a combination tach sensor/ imbalance detector.  I still saw E-29 after doing the repair, but, was able to run the centrifuge a dozen times after turning off then back on.  Motor bearings feels smooth.

At wits end

Asked by

Lance
Report this Post
Lance

Funny thing about this machine, it runs fine in the shop.  I checked the ohms on the motor windings.  No shorts to ground.  The ohms would change when testing the tan colored wire against another motor wire.  So, I soldered the brass tips that the factory puts on the end of the motor wires.  Ohms test is steady now.  Machine runs as it did in the shop.  Could that be my problem?  Oxidation under the brass tip on the end of the wire looking like an open winding.

Report this Post
sani

I have the same problem with my sorvall legend rt. have you settled the problem with removing of brass oxidation? thanks for your reply

Report this Post
Lance

I ended up replacing the motherboard

Lance

Report this Post
sani

Dear Lance

Thanks for your reply. you mean "oxidation under the brass tip on the end of the wire"  was not the main problem and something is wrecked in the mainboard. Is there any place to buy this mainboard.

Report this Post
Lance

Sani,

It turned out that was not the main problem.  The main board was.  I ordered the motherboard from Thermo Fisher.  But the new motherboard might have some different connectors on it for some of the plug-in sensors.  I had to modify either the sensor connector or the new motherboard connectors (which is not really advisable) to make everything work.  It all depends on the age of your centrifuge as to whether the bad motherboard and the replacement board match or not.

I felt that the unstable ohms reading I was getting while checking the motor windings was not right either.  So,  I fixed that by soldering the brass sleeve to the wires, which, was only crimped on.  That way the winding won't intermittently "drop out" during a run.

Report this Post
LabWrenchSiteAdminReply by
LabWrenchSiteAdmin

Hi Lance

I have posted a user Manual in the Documents tab of the Sorval Legend RT.  The error codes are listed at the back of the manual.

You can access the manual through the following link.
http://photos.labwrench.com/equipmentManuals/17389-6239.pdf

Respectfully
Ronnie

Ronnie Stanley
LabWrench Administrator
info@labx.com  
Report this Post
sani

Dear Ronnie

Did you have service manual of sorvall legend RT/T. I have found breakdown drawing of this centrifuge, but there was no service manual in the web.

Regards

Sani

Report this Post
LabWrenchSiteAdminReply by
LabWrenchSiteAdmin

Hi Sani

The Instruction Manual posted on LabWrench is for the Sorvall Legend T / RT.  Unfortunately we do not post service manuals.

The Instruction Manual is posted under the DOCUMENT TAB of the Sorvall Legend RT product page.  You can access it at the following link.

http://photos.labwrench.com/equipmentManuals/17389-6239.pdf

Respectfully
Ronnie

Ronnie Stanley
LabWrench Administrator
info@labx.com  
Report this Post
Jonathan Bélanger

Sani, please give me your e-mail address.

Regards

Report this Post
sani

Dear Jonathan

my email is  sisi1380@yahoo.com

Regards

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2