Discussion Category:  GC-Single Quad/MSD

troubleshooting Micro Ion E Gauge

Since one week my Micro Ion E Gauge (Agilent G3170-80001) has a problem. The indicator-LED keeps switching between green and red. The high vacuum pressure shown on the front-LCD of my 5975C switches between 9.99e+09 Torr and the measured value. The foreline pressure is at a constant and good level.

Looks like the Gauge works fine but not permanently. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Rebooting the system had no impact.

Asked by

Seppa
Report this Post
Joel V.

Red light while the system is pumped down indicates a gauge failure.

Green is normal operation.

Yellow is standby, usually this color during initial pump down.

When they fail, the red light is typically solid red, not alternating.

Double check gauge connections to make sure that's not an issue (24V and that the signal cable is going to Serial B connection on Smart Card).

I would say that your gauge is likely failing and needs to be replaced/repaired or it could also be a (less likely) problem with the SmartCard in the electronics module.

Pace Analytical, Lab Ops Division

http://www.pacelabs.com/lab-operations/lab-equipment-services.html  
Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie

JOel is correct in that the active element in the gauge is failing.  When they start to fail they can act in this matter, reporting the 9.9e9 value and a good reading.  The active element in this gauge assembly is replaceable and if purchased from Granville-Phillips runs around $200 as I recall.  If the instrument is under warranty it should be covered.  Email me if you would like assistance in replacing the gauge tube.

Dan

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie

JOel is correct in that the active element in the gauge is failing.  When they start to fail they can act in this matter, reporting the 9.9e9 value and a good reading.  The active element in this gauge assembly is replaceable and if purchased from Granville-Phillips runs around $200 as I recall.  If the instrument is under warranty it should be covered.  Email me if you would like assistance in replacing the gauge tube.

Dan

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post
mgarner1980

Do you happen to have the replacment part # and/or the granville part number for the Complete gauge assembly?

Thanks,

Mark

Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie

Mark,

You listed the Agilent Part # for the assembly in your original post, G3170-80001, the part number for a rebuilt one is G3170-89001.  I would have to call Granville Phillips to get their part number.  You can check them out on the web.

Dan

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post
Ecelberger

Hidey ho,

Can anybody share the manual for the Micro-Ion gauge head (G3170-80001)?

I bought one on eBay and I'm having trouble finding technical information.  I really need the pinout.

Thanks,

Scott

Report this Post
Dan Ste.MarieReply by
Dan Ste.Marie

I believe that you can get the pin-out for the gauge from Granville-Phillips

Dan Ste.Marie

RJ2 Instrument Services

Erie, PA

www.rj2.biz

Report this Post
Ecelberger

Thanks Dan,

I sent a request today and hopefully they'll send me the manual.  I've been all over their website and found manuals for every gauge but this one.  Might have something to do with this being an Agilent part.

Scott

Report this Post
Krishans

Hi Dan,

My Agilent G3170-80001 ion gauge shows a staedy amber (or is it yellow). As you said the main filamnet can be replaced. Do you know the part number for the filament and from whom can I get it? Agilent does not seel the filaments.

Thanks.

Krishans

Report this Post
Krishans

Hi Dan,

My Agilent G3170-80001 ion gauge shows a staedy amber (or is it yellw). As you said the main filamne t can be replaced. Do you know the part number for the filament and from whom can I get it? Agilent does not sell the filaments.

Thanks.

Krishans

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2