Discussion Category:  Hematology Analyzers

Medical lab technologist

what is the difference between open mode and capillary mode? My lab just got sysmex 4000i and I'm impressed at the very low volume it needs for the manual mode...just ran a short sample baby cbc and retic. I'm think the volume it needed was 40 microliters , but not sure. Please let me know.

Asked by

Betsy
Report this Post
CA Bryant

The capillary mode is an automatic dilution mode.  You make the dilution manually and the machine multiplies the results for you.  I believe the dilution factor is 1/5.  On my XT, I always used 100uL of sample and 400uL of cellpack to make the dilution because I usually had plenty of sample to work with.  Check your manual to make sure your 4000i is set for the 1/5 dilution factor.  Some of the analyzers use a different factor.  Open mode is simply a manual mode for sampling.

Report this Post
Betsy

thanks...I haven't used the capillary mode yet, but I'm sure ill need it sooner or later. It's a small hospital, but you never know who will walk through the door. We just started using the 4000i about 2 months ago, and I love it...mind you, I was used to using an Abbot 3700 before. Serviceable, but It was high time for higher technology!

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1