Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Microfuge R22

Door will not release all the time and start button will not activate machine. Pressing down hard on the lid usually solves the problem. I suspect the micro switches are faulty. Where might I obtain these switches?

Asked by

Experimur
Report this Post
dpkleessr

The two door latches on the M22R centrifuge actually have 2 switches on each latch. We were never able to just get the switches themselves in the field, only the entire latch assembly. Frequently the problem was with the latch itself and not the switches but from your description, it sounds like it is one or more of the switches. I always replaced both latch assemblies at the same time as the physical shock and wear to both assemblies is uniform such that if you don't take care of replacing everything now, you will very shortly have to deal with the same problem again.

Report this Post
LabWrenchSiteAdminReply by
LabWrenchSiteAdmin

Hi Experimur,

I have provided you with a link below that will take you to the online request a quote form for the Beckman Coulter Microfuge® 22R. Please fill in the required information and we will have your request sent out as soon as possible. You can request quotes on parts and / or service here.

ttp://www.labwrench.com/?equipment.requestAQuote/equipmentNo/2412/Beckman-Coulter/Microfuge--22R/

This Link can be accessed through  a yellow button near the top of the Beckman Coulter Microfuge® 22R product page, or through a text link at the bottom of the page

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Respectfully
Ronnie

Ronnie Stanley
LabWrench Administrator
info@labx.com  
Report this Post
doodle50

I'd see if lubricating the latch mechanism on both side fixes it up before I spent any $$. I would probably use silicone spray for this. Open it up so you can see what you're spraying.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

In all of my years servicing the Microfuge22R's, lubrication alone NEVER fixed a single door latch problem. Trying it won't hurt but it also probably won't help. The switches or the solenoids themselves were always the problem and the latches are not cheap. You might want to try going directly to Sigma that actually makes the centrifuge for Beckman Coulter. Beckman has really jacked up the prices for parts in the last year in order to keep their profitability up for Danaher Corporation that now owns them. In fact, Sigma makes quite a few centrifuges for Beckman Coulter.

Report this Post
doodle50

In my experience 3 out of 4 worked properly after lubrication. I replaced switches in only ~one out of four. This is an average. I have worked on plenty of Microfuges in the past .

Report this Post
sgbrown

How do you "open up" a Microfuge 22R so that you can view and lubricate the latches?

Report this Post
dpkleessr

The Microfuge 22R and the Microfuge 18 are NOTHING alike when it comes to taking them apart. The 18 is really quite simple compared to the 22R because you are not dealing with a refrigerated centrifuge.

First thing to do is obviously unplug the unit with the door open. There are five screws that hold the front cover to the centrifuge. Remove all of them. Once the cover is removed you can see the latch assemblies which are held in place by two screws each. I know that other individuals have posted as to their success with simply lubricating the latches but during my rather lengthy career, I had very little success with this. The big issue with the latches is that in most cases, the users are something less than gentle with closing the door as it requires firm pressure to close it but as the latches age, they start becoming a little picky as to when they close properly. If I was going to attempt to only lubricate the latches, I would start by using the little tube of Spincote that came with every centrifuge. It is a mechanical grease that has been used with Beckman centrifuges long before I started work back in 1980. Anyway, the eye bolt plungers on the door should get a light coat of grease and I'm really not sure where else you would want to grease with anything other than potentially a penetrating silicone or teflon based spray. The pistons in the solenoids themselves may get a little gummy with age and usage but DO NOT go crazy with lubricant. The only sure way to get everything moving smoothly again is to remove the latch assemblies and take them apart but that is not a fun job either. Give this a shot and get back to me. Just be advised that after Friday, I will be unavailable to communicate electronically for a week as I will be out of the country. Hope this helps.

Don

Report this Post
GeorgeandJames

Hello,

Could someone please tell me where I can find Beckman Microfuge 18 and 22R Service manuals. I've contacted Beckman and was given a quote for $1,500 for just Microfuge 18. I didnt dear to ask for 22R.

I guess that is a reasonable price for a company. But someone like me, working part time could never afford it.

Anyhow, if you have the manuals I'd greatly appreciate if you could email me at melashvili@hotmail.com. If not for free, perhaps for a resonable price.

Thank you in advance,

George

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Service manuals are generally only available at the discretion of the local area service manager.  The fact that they quoted you a price at all was amazing.  Anyway, Beckman Coulter went to electronic service manuals years ago so any printed copies will be mostly out of date and will NOT contain any service info's or other product updates so you would be purchasing old paper.  You should also be aware that even though they are older information, it is still copyrighted information so the sale of the manuals could be problematic.  If you are having specific problems just post them here and I will try to help you out.

Don

Report this Post
white rabbit

I found that Beckman greases the solenoids and moving latch cams and after a while grease gets sticky and the parts no longer rotate.  Solvents and other lubricants won't penetrate the tight gaps between the delron and cams.  The only way to resolve the issue is to remove the latch, remove the cams and clean off all the grease.  Remove the solenoid, remove the bobin and clean the bobin and solenoid cavity of all grease.   I don't see why they used grease, when they have delron bearing surfaces so I don't apply any grease or oil.  Reassemble the latch and use loctite on the screws and piviot pins.  I've been doing this for years and have yet to have one come back.  If you buy a new latch it will be greased so the problem will re-occur sometime down the road.

K

Report this Post

Page 1 of 3