Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Error F5

After a power failure the F5 error and FRS appeared on the screen, any code to solve this?

Asked by

CasiopeaAzul
Report this Post
dpkleessr

First, do you get an F5 code at any other time than after a power failure? The FRS (friction reduction system aka vacuum system) error indicates there was a problem with the vacuum leaking out during the power failure. Typically hitting the CE (clear error) Button will resolve the F5 problem. Have you identified what caused the power failure? Sometimes, you can have power issues caused by the centrifuge itself. So, answer the questions I asked and get back to me.

Don

Report this Post
CasiopeaAzul

Hello Don:

The centrifuge was working properly until a S7 error appeared thats why I supposed it was a cause of power failure, then I disconnected the power cord and then entered 911 CE and I was able to cleared the error, but after I tryied to start a new run a F5 FRS, error appeared and then I cleared out with CE. After press start, it was displayed F5 FRS, elevation incorrect, this can be cleared out with CE but appears again and again after I press start.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

OK, now I understand the starting point of your problems. ANYTIME, you have an S7 diagnostic, the centrifuge MUST be reinitialized and that is not something most customers know how to do. The bigger issue with the S& is what caused it. An S7 diagnostic is the worst case failure for an Avanti J centrifuge. Part of the initialization is setting the elevation and several other parameters and then performing a windage and inertia calibration. There were MANY different modifications tried in order to prevent S7's and without knowing what, if any of those modifications were performed, it is difficult to tell you how to proceed. I don't know where you are located so I can't say who the local service engineer is. If you know this information and have a good relationship with them, then that should be your first avenue of attack in getting your problem rectified. The modification that had the biggest effect in my experience was the replacement and proper adjustment of the low voltage power supply. If this mod has not been performed then I recommend that you get a quote and have the work done. Maybe you can talk your engineer into giving you the step by step instructions to reinitialize the centrifuge after the work has been done. There are NO shortcuts to the reinitialization procedure and anyone that tells you that there is, is either lying or uninformed. Sorry that I can't do more but I believe this is outside of the scope of what I can help you with without more information. If you do have any service reports around that indicate the work was done then we may be able to go from there.

Don K

Report this Post
cunderwo

Hi Don,

I just acquired a J-25i that was working before i got it.  It now has the F5 FRS elevation incorrect error.  I assume the centrifuge is reading pressure even before the run starts the vacuum pump.  Is this what the incorrect elevation means?  I live at 7300 ft, and the centrfuge came from sea level.  Does it need to be recalibrated at my elevation?

Thanks

Clay

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Clay,

Yes, the new altitude in meters and the ambient air pressure need to be reentered before it will run properly.  I have posted the necessary key strokes to enter elsewhere on this site.  If you can't find them let me know and I'll repost them.

Don

Report this Post
cunderwo

Thanks Don for your quick reponse!   I (and I am sure others) really appreciate your time helping us trouble shoot our Beckman equipment.  I searched the other J-25 posts and I was unable to find the key sequence.  Its possible I missed it somehow, but I did see that you contributed to most  of them,.  Would you mind reposting the procedure for me?

Thanks

-Clay

Report this Post
dpkleessr

To enter the correct elevation hit [ENTER] 711; enter the correct value in meterswith the touch pad and then hit  [ENTER] to store the new value.

To set the ambient air pressure, hit [ENTER] 622. Enter the new value in the speed field and hit [ENTER] to store the value.

You will have to also reinitialize the windage and inertia calibrations but I need to know what rotors you have in order to deal with this so get back to me.

Don

Report this Post
cunderwo

Thanks Don!  Should the ambient air pressure be in mmHg?  The rotors I have are: JA-10, JA-17, JLA-16.250,  and JA-25.50.

Should I wait to enter the altitude and ambient air pressure until you get me the other settings?

Thanks!

-Clay

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Clay, It is in mmHg but the value you see in the display after entering the key sequence I gave you is what you will enter using the numeric keypad and then hit [ENTER].

The key sequence to perform automatic windage and inertia calibrations using the JA10 rotor are as follows: Automatic Windage & Inertia calibrations [ENTER], 422, [ENTER], [START].  During the process, you will see the speed go up and down repeatedly until the calibration is completed.  DO NOT hit the [STOP] button or you will abort the sequence without completing the calibrations.  When the rotor finally comes to a stop and does not start speeding up again, and this can take 10 minutes, the calibrations will be done.  If there are any problems you will get a diagnostic message, typically an R9 error.

Make sure that you set the temperature to room temperature and have selected the JA10 rotor as the rotor in use on the touch panel BEFORE you try the calibrations.

Finally, I am flying to Texas tomorrow for replacement knee surgery on Friday so although I will have my computer with me, I will not have any documentation so I will do my best to answer any questions you might have either before or after my surgery.

Don

Report this Post
cunderwo

Don,

Your key codes got rid of the FRS error I was having.  I was also able to perform the calibration with no errors.  However, when it was done, I programmed the centrifuge to 5000 rpm for 5 minutes with JA-10 rotor,  After 1 minute, the stop button started flashing and I got a D11 driver errror.  Can you help with this too?  Good luck with your surgery, and no hurry to get back to me!

Thanks again,

-Clay

Report this Post

Page 1 of 2