Discussion Category:  Spectroscopy

Proper tungsten lamp for Beckman DU series?

I have noticed that one of the expert posters has said that only the real Beckman tungsten lamp should be used due to coatings which block some of the UV.

My DU-650 lid says the proper tungsten lamp PN is 945672 but the online Beckman website will not validate this PN. I have been using  Osram 64425 12V 20W, but the UV is pretty noisy, so I want to order the correct lamp. Any one know the current PN?

Asked by

gr
Report this Post
Craig1

That is the correct PN for the Vis lamp. Beckmans online ordering website doesn't have service parts. You will have to call to order. 

I would order from here instead of Beckman for lamps. Great customer service and save a lot of money. We've been using Osram 64258 12V 20W for years. I don't remember which ones Beckman uses, but these ones work great. 

http://www.sonntek.com/lamps.html#beckman

A noisy UV lamp is probably the UV lamp NOT the visible lamp.

Report this Post
gr

After digging around I found that Osram seems to filter some UV on purpose. I plan to do a comparison between the Beckman and Osram lamps. The noise I see is in the range handled by the halogen bulb.

Link to Osram site, with filter infor shown below:

http://www.osram.ec/osram_ec/Servicios_y_herramientas/Training_%26_Knowledge/FAQ/Environment/index.html#answ21

UV filter technology Question

Why does OSRAM use UV filter technology in halogen lamps to protect the environment and our health?

Answer

In addition to light, halogen lamps emit ultraviolet radiation (rays). Quartz glass used for conventional lamps allows these UV rays to freely pass through the bulb. In order to prevent this, OSRAM is the first lamp manufacturer to use UV filter technology for its entire range of halogen lamps. OSRAM halogen lamps are made of quartz glass that is doped, meaning that it has been enriched with substances that absorb UV rays. This significantly reduces the amount of unwanted UV rays in the light.

OSRAM UV filter technology is highly effective in preventing UV-B and UV-C rays from penetrating the glass. These high-energy rays can cause sunburn and conjunctivitis. Only half of the low-energy UV-A rays go through the glass. Another advantage of doped glass is that it reduces fading effects on textiles due to UV rays.

Report this Post
gr

Just received my Official  from Beckman Coulter PN 514259,  Lamp-INCND, 2.0V, 20W- SCD (that's what their labels says!).  The lamp itself is labled OSRAM 64258 (which is a 12V/20W).

So no hope of a bit of UV boost from the lamp. They would seem to be the same lamp.

Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

Did you ever confirm the data by emerical testing or your scans? Side-by-Side testing?

Thanks,

Chad

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
floydReply by
floyd

I have been buying those lamps from a third party OEM supplier for 20 years. Lab Solutions, Inc. 713-320-5812.

Floyd Theriot  
Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

Sounds good Floyd and I would say thats a yes. What research I found was the standard halogen W lamps don't have any doppant anti UV material in the glass so UV A,B,C ranges are not effected. Some of the newer halogen W (I forgot the accroynym) have a doppant the glass that block B and C ranges (~100-300nm) but A it has no effect (300-400nm). So even worse case scenerio you would loose 110nm if you used the newer due to the Beckman range of 190-1100nm. So you would have a 300-1100nm range if used. It seems the older the better which mean cheaper typically. I am no expert but this is what I found.

That's my 2 cents of knowledge,

Chad

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
floydReply by
floyd

I have an older lamp, new in the box for $250. For Beckman DU 65. Call 713-320-5812 with address.

Floyd Theriot  
Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

$250 for the Deuterium UV source?

Chad J. Stoltzmann  
Report this Post
Chad S.Reply by
Chad S.

Hello again,

I's that the UV lamp you have for sale?

Thanks,