Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Beckman L 90k levelling

is there an easy way to level the instrument after a mouve?

I am used to do this with 3 leg centrifuges. But this unit has 4 legs.

thanks

Asked by

Bert
Report this Post
dpkleessr

Starting with the floor model Optima series centrifuges, Beckman went with a four point leveling stance. What this means is that you really need to have a rotor with a good flat leveling surface on it in order to set up the centrifuge. You need true front to back and left to right leveling. It is NOT as easy as it sounds. Typically you will find that 3 of the 4 leveling screws are in contact with the foot pads and YES, they should be glued to the floor. After you get the 3 pads in contact with the pads and the centrifuge is level, you merely screw the other foot pad down so that it is snug in the foot pad without altering the leveling of the centrifuge. Be advised, you may have to try several different combinations of which screws are in contact with the foot pads to achieve leveling. A lot depends on the level of the floor you are placing the centrifuge on. The better the level of the floor the easier to level the centrifuge. Remember, access to the back to leveling screws can be achieved through the inside of the centrifuge. The right rear screw is accessed easily by removing the vacuum pump and the left rear screw is accessed by removing the cover plate in the left rear position on the inside of the centrifuge. A ratchet works really nice with the leveling process but otherwise it will take a 3/4" wrench to do it from the outside. Hope this helps.

Don

Report this Post
Bert

Hi Don,

good info. I checked the unit today. Only 1 question open.

Is any Epoxy glue good? Or is there a recomendation?

Thanks

Bert

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Personally, I prefer contact cement over epoxy. Although a lot depends on the kind of floor where the centrifuge is going to be placed. Hope this helps.

Don

Report this Post
Bert

Thanks again, now I know why you prefer contact cement. :-). Any idea where I can buy a service manual for the L90??

Thanks

Bert

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Bert,

Not much that I can do about the service manual for the L90K. When I retired 15 months ago, service manuals were only sold at the local service manager's discretion. However, I never heard of any manager actually agreeing to sell one.

Don

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1