Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Unit will no longer power ON

We've had the 5415R for many years. It seems that no one in the lab ever turned it off (it has always been ON). Well, I turned it off and unplugged it the other day in order to clean the rotor.

Now it will not turn back on. I've tried replacing the fuse (slow blow 6.25A, 250 V), but that did not work.

Is there anything else I can check? I did notice that the fuse holder had positions for two fuses, but only one was occupied (I tried putting in two, but could not get everything to fit back in when two were in place).

Thanks for your attention and help!

Asked by

rhozee
Report this Post
Bert

If your unit is really dead, start at the basics:

Follow the power input line. Cable terminal, switch ( in and out) / fuse holder, noise filter,  power supply input connector. If you do your measurments hot, be extremly careful. I prefer to measure it by ohm-meter. You can disconnect the power supply connector and do your resistance measurment over the complete setup.

Bert

Report this Post
JJablonski

I have 5 of these models all experiencing the same problem.  I took them apart and examined.  There are 2 boards.  The power board located directly where the plug enters and the control board that is mounted behind the display.  The larger ribbon conector attaches the control board to the power board.  I noticed that if I disconnect that ribbon conector from the power board and plug the centrifuge in, I get a green and red LED that light up on the power board.  I then re-connected the ribbon cable to the power board while it was hot and then the display worked and the LED lights also stayed illuminated and everything was fine.  This is a temporary fix that worked on them all.  The only problem is that if the power is turned off for longer than a certain amount of time, this needs to be re-done.  Great caution needs to be taken so you don't kink any of the cables when putting back together, and also there is a risk of working with it while it has power applied to it.  I know this is an old post, but wanted to see if there was any new information on the subject since I want a more permanent fix.

Report this Post
rhozee

Thanks so much for the information!

Update: we can’t find an easy way to access the control board (and ribbon cable) for the display panel.   We removed four screws from the plastic covering, believing this would allow us to remove the cover and access the boards.  We can’t find the right method to remove the cover, though.  Can you provide advice?  
Report this Post
JJablonski

Yes, I have the instructions for disassembly.  The lid must be completely removed and then with those 4 screws removed, the entire shell pulls up.  I can send the pdf instructions to an email address if you provide one.  Email me at jjablons@scripps.edu

Report this Post
Murali

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem. My 5415D was powered off for a month or so and it does not poweron. Could you please send me instructions for disassembly so that I can try your suggestion. 

Thanks, 

Report this Post
InnoWart

Dear rhozee, I have the same problem ina two 5415d. First they displaied a Error 17. I changed the control board but the fault still occur. Have you the service manual or electrical scheme of this centrifuge?

Regards!

Report this Post
floydReply by
floyd

It only reqires the one fuse. put it baack the original way and it should work. 

Floyd Theriot  
Report this Post
InnoWart

Dear floyd. Thank you for your reply.

Are you sure that the problem is the fuse? It has the two fuses allowed right and the unit turns on, but in one of them appears Error 17 in the display and in the other the display don't light and I can hear a sharp beep (from the condenser).

Regards!

Report this Post
Geords

We have the same case on our eppendorf 5415 R,C and D. All are the same thing! When you disconnect the ribbon cable to the main board you can see the LED lights goes on and after a few second connect the ribbon cable and everything is back to normal, but everytime you turn OFF the power and turned ON the power again while the ribbon cable is connected, there is no display again and you cannot operate the unit again.

I agree to JJablonski with the temporary fix, coz i also did that, just remmember that it is risky and you should pay attention on re assembling the unit again.

I contacted Eppendorf for this problem, they could not give me a straight answer wheater the problem is short on the display board or a short in the main board.

We have an extra brand new display board. I did connect it to the main board but still, same thing happen.

Well the last thing i did not do is to replace the main board which cost for about $ 1,400 canadian plus tax and shipping.

I was hoping that Eppendorf will be a little bit flexible on assissting me to the problem since we have so many of them, well their answer was that i need to send it to them so that they can assess the problem and and replace those defective parts. Which parts? well the did not give me the definite answer.

I hope that when somebody had find a way to solve this problem will share it, so that it will be helpful to others like me.

Geords22

Report this Post
Geords

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the reply. Well i already ask eppendorf about the main board price here in canada and it cost about 1387 canadian dollars.

I really would like to replace the board and also want to gain experience on this problem. Well the end user is not willing to buy the main board since the brand new unit only cost for about 3,500 dollars. 

If i find any development on this problem i will definitely post it to help orthers.

Geords22

Report this Post

Page 1 of 6