Discussion Category:  Scintillation Counters

"sensor bounce" error message

Our LS 6500 is giving a "sensor bounce" warning, is there a way to fix that? It counts a few samples, stops, then gives a sensor bounce error message in a big red box. Suggestions/comments?

Asked by

JuliaS
Report this Post
dpkleessr

The error message that you are getting is telling you that one of the sensors, probably one of the diaphragm sensors is doing just as the error says, bouncing from OFF to ON or vice versa. The only way to determine this is to take the top cover off of the instrument, remove the top piece of lead, and using a digital volt meter, check out the test points on the two small circuit boards attached to the diaphragm. They should show very clean transitions between their values when the diaphragm goes through its opening and closing cycles. If the voltages are bouncing around you will get the error message that you are getting.

The other possibility is with the elevator sensors as they might exhibit the same behavior but primarily with the UP sensor. If you observe the elevator shaft as it is raising a sample up and it appears to slip down slightly, and then jerk itself up again, then you definitely have an elevator that needs to be adjusted. Obviously I can't do much more from where I sit but those are the items that I would be looking at first if I was still working in t he field.

Don

Report this Post
dpkleessr

The error message that you are getting is telling you that one of the sensors, probably one of the diaphragm sensors is doing just as the error says, bouncing from OFF to ON or vice versa. The only way to determine this is to take the top cover off of the instrument, remove the top piece of lead, and using a digital volt meter, check out the test points on the two small circuit boards attached to the diaphragm. They should show very clean transitions between their values when the diaphragm goes through its opening and closing cycles. If the voltages are bouncing around you will get the error message that you are getting.

The other possibility is with the elevator sensors as they might exhibit the same behavior but primarily with the UP sensor. If you observe the elevator shaft as it is raising a sample up and it appears to slip down slightly, and then jerk itself up again, then you definitely have an elevator that needs to be adjusted. Obviously I can't do much more from where I sit but those are the items that I would be looking at first if I was still working in the field.

Don

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1