Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Very little braking

The centrfuge is braking a bit, but the brake current maxes out at under 1 amp.  It takes a JA-20 rotor well over 5 minutes to come to a stop from 15K RPM with the brake setting at MAX.  The brake rectifier and SCR seem okay.  The brake control pot seems fine as well.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  

Asked by

rbwalter
Report this Post
dpkleessr

Your problem could be the control board located in the back of the control console. That is where the ramp voltage that controls the amount of brake current is generated so that is where I would be focused on.

Don

Report this Post
rbwalter

Hi Don,

I assume you're talking about the socketed "low voltage" board and not the "high voltage" with 800 wires soldered to it, correct?  Also, one thing that I could add is that there was a .25 amp SB fuse blown when I got to the machine.  I replaced it and it hasn't blown again, but the problem persists.  Thanks.   

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Fuse blown then I believe that there would be no braking action.

Report this Post
rbwalter

I finally figured out what it was.  One of the pins on the motor connector burnt for some reason.  I kept focusing up on the braking section in back of the machine since the motor seemed to be accelerating just fine.  I put in a good, used motor we had and we're back in business.  Thanks!

Report this Post

Page 1 of 1