Discussion Category:  Centrifuge

Sys error Avanti J-26 XP

Hello,

We have a Beckman Coulter Avanti J-26 XP in our lab. Last Friday it gave the error "sys" when we switched it on and it was no possible to delete it by pressing "clear". This morning I have tried a sequence of keys I have found in another post and it has worked (set-accel-set-decel-time-accel-clear). The rpm, time and temperature sets have remained as they have been previously established, but I do not know if calibration parameters have been reset. How can I check it? If necessary, can anyone email me the procedure to calibrate the instrument myself?

The serial number is JXS08H30 and it was bought new at the end of 2008.

Thanks in advance,

Sergio

Asked by

Segoal
Report this Post
dpkleessr

Sergio,  All of your calibration parameters were lost as soon as the SYS diagnostic was generated.  The last known parameters should be on the label affixed to the frame of the instrument when you remove the front cover.  Unfortunately, I do not remember the codes that will allow you to properly reenter the windage and inertia parameters into the centrifuge.  In addition, you must set the correct altitude and barometric pressure reading into the centrifuge as well as a vacuum calibration setting.  All of these require a "SET", "ACCEL", "SET", "DECEL", sequence but I just don't have access to the rest of the codes where I am at right now.  You can try calling Beckman but I'm not sure how much they will help you without a PO number.  If you know who your regular Beckman service engineer is, he may be able to help you out too.  I will be back home next Monday but there's nothing I can do until then at the earliest.  Sorry but that's the best that I can do right now.

Don

Report this Post
Segoal

Don,

I do not know the Beckman engineer and I have tried calling Beckman service but they told me that the engineer had to visit our lab to reprogram the centrifuge properly and the budget would be more than one thousand €…

I will be very grateful if you could send to me the protocol and sequence of codes I have to use to reprogram the centrifuge when you access to them.

Sergio

Report this Post
dpkleessr

I just found my old Avanti service manual and I will post the proper sequence and codes necessary to restore your centrifuge either later today or over the weekend.

Don

Report this Post
Segoal

Good news, thanks for your interest Don, .

Please, post the procedures when you have some time.

Sergio

Report this Post
AgusPietra

We have the same error, you gave us hope Sergio, because we didn't know that the problem could be solver by erasing the memmory. Don, I'll wait for your codes.

Thanks both of you!

Agustín.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

OK, here's how you bring an Avanti J and NOT an Avanti JI series back to life as the codes to clear the diagnostic errors out is different for the two series of centrifuges.  You must enter all of the codes in rapid succession because if you pause longer than 2 seconds, the centrifuge goes back to its waiting state.  Also, ALL codes begin with the same sequence: [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL] so get used to entering this sequence followed by the other two entries to get to where you need to be or something that you need to do.

So, lets begin by checking the diagnostic messages in memory.  Press: [SET/ACTUAL[, [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [TIME/HOLD] TWICE and then you can view all of the diagnostic codes in memory.  Press [CLEAR] to remove eac h of the codes as they are displayed. 

Next, you need to clear the S7 SYSTEM diagnostic. Press:  [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL[, [DECEL], [TIME/HOLD], [ACCEL].  Press [CLEAR] to clear the diagnostic.

To clear the Door Lock Timer:  [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [TIME/HOLD], [DECEL].  You should hear the door unlatch at this point.  Press [CLEAR] to clear the diagnostic.

To clear a System Lock-Up, which doesn't happen very often: Press [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [RPM/RCF], [TIME/HOLD].

1.) Elevation in METERS:  [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [ACCEL], [DECEL]

2.) Ambient Air Pressure:  [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [DECEL], [RPM/RCF]. Turn the SPEED knob until it matches the TIME display.

3.) The next item you really need a vacuum gauge hooked up to the yellow tygon tubing that goes to the vacuum sensor on the power distribution board, which is located on the lower left hand side of the centrifuge.  You also technically need to compensate for the altitude where you are located and I cannot locate my compensation chart for that.  What this procedure does is compensate the for the fact that the rotors will be running under vacuum, at altitude, when the windage and inertia checks are made and when the centrifuge is actually running.  Again, hopefully this value will be on the decal on the front of the centrifuge behind the front panel listed as the P4 value.  If it's not there then we will have to try something different in order to get the correct value.

4.) To have the centrifuge calculate its own values for windage and inertia, which I recommend, because it takes into account for the current state of the centrifuge, enter the following:  [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [RPM/RCF], [DECEL].  The centrifuge will perform an INERTIA calibration first.  The set speed will change to 4,500 RPM, and the set time to 1 hour to do the inertia calibration.  It NEVER takes and hour to do the calibration!  Press [START] to begin the calibration process.  After it finishes with the inertia calibration, the system will change to the WINDAGE checking speed plus 500 RPM for the rotor that you entered and you MUST enter the rotor that you are using BEFORE you start this procedure.  You need to let the centrifuge complete all three steps to this process.  There will be times that the centrifuge APPEARS to be done but wait before pressing the STOP button as it does pause somewhat between steps and some of the steps will be repeated in order to get solid values for each of the parameters.  This should take no longer than 30 minutes so just be patient.  After it completes this step you will be back to normal operation PROVIDED that you do not have any electronic or mechanical issues that need to be resolved.

If you want to just enter the values manually, based upon the values on the decal, then you will need to do the following three steps.

Enter/ Check the 900 to 1900 RPM value: Press [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [ACCEL], [RPM/RCF] and then rotate the SPEED knob to indicate the value on the decal for this setting.  Press [SET/ACTUAL] to store the value.

Enter/Check the 3,000 to 3,500 RPM enertia value:  Press [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [ACCEL], [TIME/HOLD] and enter the value on the decal for this setting BY TURNING THE SPEED KNOB to the correct setting.  Again, press {SET/ACTUAL] to store the value.

Enter/Check the Windage Calibration:  Press: [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], then press [ACCEL] TWICE.  Enter the value from the decal by once again turning the SPEED knob to the correct value and then press [SET/ACTUAL] to store the value.

You should now have a functional centrifuge.  Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all but I am in the process or relocating and free time is in short supply right now.  Good luck and let me know how it goes.

If anyone needs the Avanti JI series codes then please post a message and I'll take care of those too.

Don

Report this Post
AgusPietra

Don, thank you very, very much!! I didn't answer quickly because we had a problem and were trying to solve it without asking you again. Well, we couldn't do it...  

The problem is that for a rotor JS 4.0, the centrifugue throws "ROTOR" error when approaches to 4k rpm...    We had all the calibration data in front, so we entered all manually. But I don't know how to enter the P4 value, which we have. According of what you wrote, if we have that value, we don't need a vacuum gauge. Do you have the code to enter the P4 number?  

One more thing. We tried to have the centrifugue calculate its own values for windage and inertia, but that particular code didn't work.[SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [RPM/RCF], [DECEL]. Is it right?   

Thanks again.

Agustín.

Report this Post
dpkleessr

Augustin,

Sorry but I forgot to ask you what rotors you actually had on hand.  The JS4.0 rotor is a special case and the centrifuge will not allow you to do a windage calculation because the maximum speed of the rotor is so low.  You can only perform an inertia calibration with the JS4.0 rotor.  So, to perform only an inetia calibration, enter the following key strokes:  [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [RPM/RCF], [ACCEL] and then press START.  It is always better to have the centrifuge perform the calculation because it takes into account the current condition of the centrifuge.

If the only rotor that you have to use is the JS4.0 then you probably don't need to worry too much about the P4 value as th vacuum system will never come on at such a low speed.  Having said that, to enter the P4 value do the following:  [SET/ACTUAL], [ACCEL], [SET/ACTUAL], [DECEL], [DECEL], [TIME/HOLD].   The vacuum pump will turn on.  When it turns off again, enter the P4 value from the label into the speed field.  After you enter this value, press [SET/ACTUAL] to store the value.

This hsould take care of all of your issues.  If you continue to have the rotor error appear then you may have other issues but try these steps first and let me know how it goes and do not hesitate to ask for help.  It's why I'm on this site.

Don

Report this Post
AgusPietra
Hello again Don. Although we normally use the JS4.0, we have a JA-25.15 rotor.   So, do you recomend me to make the calibration with the JA rotor?    Thanks again!   Agustín.
Report this Post
dpkleessr

Augustin, Yes, you can use the JA25.15 to perform the complete windage and inertia calibration.  You MUST make sure that the correct rotor is programmed into the centrifuge BEFORE you start the calibration run.  Otherwise you will get a rotor error.  This is also true during normal runs.  Please let me know how it goes.

Don

Report this Post

Page 1 of 3