Discussion Category:  GC Components

G1888 sampling probe lifter

Recently we have been experiencing a weird issue with the autosampler's sample probe lifter. Now every time when we ran the samples, the vials were taken into the carousel fine, but after sampling probe was injected into the vial cap, the sampling probe couldn't completely retract back to its original position and still connect with the vial, blocking the rotation of the carousel, sample vials stuck inside and the sequence stopped. I tried to reset the autosampler, but the sampling probe still stick out.

Have some had the same issue before and can give some advise?

Thanks!

Asked by

maldiniyan
Report this Post
Marti@PaceISGReply by
Marti@PaceISG
It sounds like either the sample probe on the sampler is bent or has an excess of sample contaminant built up on it. This causes the vial septum to stick on the probe after the lifter retracts. I have seen both issues.  Recommended action would be to remove the sample probe and clean it or replace it.  You may also need to remove the sample probe needle mount and clean the disc and spring beneath it.  -Jeff S.  (GC and GC/MS Supervisor at Pace Analytical's Instrument Support Group)
[b]Marti Joyer[/b]
Pace Analytical Services - Instrument Support Group
[i]Marti.Joyer@pacelabs.com[/i]
[url]http://www.pacelabs.com/lab-operations/lab-equipment-services.html[/url]  
Report this Post
maldiniyan

Thanks for your reply, Marti. I checked the sampling probe, it looks fine. I am planning to check the sampling probe mount and Agilent technical support won't give any instruction but ask me to replace the entire probe lifter. Do you think it's difficult to disassemble the sampling probe mount to clean the inside disc or spring? Thanks!

Report this Post
Marti@PaceISGReply by
Marti@PaceISG

Sure, you can remove the sampling probe mount by removing the two screws on either side of it.  If you're comfortable trying it on your own, definitely give it a try.  Remember, use caution, because the assembly is spring loaded!  If you come across any issues or decide you'd like help, feel free to e-mail me directly and we can give guidance, send you pictures or you can ship it to us for bench repair.  Thanks, Maldiniyan! 

[b]Marti Joyer[/b]
Report this Post
maldiniyan

Problem solved. It's not the spring, but the needle guide. After years' use, the sampling probe hole in the middle of needle guide is worn out, preventing the probe moving in and out. Cost for a plastic needle guide is $260, ridiculous, but still much cheaper than $6000 that Agilent's solution of replacing the whole module.

Report this Post
Marti@PaceISGReply by
Marti@PaceISG

Excellent!  I am glad you found the solution.  Yes, it sounds much more reasonable than the alternative.  It was a pleasure working with you - thank you for the update.  

[b]Marti Joyer[/b]
Report this Post

Page 1 of 1